WHO IS THE RYA POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE AIMED AT?
This course was written for deck crew on board superyachts, the 2-day Tender Operator course slots in straight after the RYA Powerboat Level 2. The course is specifically aimed at those who are likely to be driving guests ashore from an anchored superyacht by day and evening onboard the yacht’s tender. This course was written as a direct result of requests from the super-yacht industry and the PYA (Professional Yachting Association).
WHAT ARE THE AIMS OF THE RYA POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE?
To teach super-yacht tender drivers to drive to the required standard to carry passengers and other crew members to and from the mother ship (super-yacht) by day and night.
The tender operator course is designed to build on a candidate’s basic knowledge of powerboating and candidates should gain confidence in their own competence. They will have plenty of time to practice short handed techniques and working with outer crew for working with other crew. It is important that candidates understand the emphasis of the course is ship (super yacht) to shore transfers, and associated skills rather than coastal cruising.
Candidates should gain an appreciation of their role as tender skipper/operator and become more employable in the superyacht sector.
HOW LONG IS THE RYA POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE?
2 days including a night exercise on the first evening
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES FOR THE POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE?
- Minimum age 17 (required)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 (required)
- First Aid (recommended)
- RYA Short Range Certificate (recommended)
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE RYA POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE?
- Pre-departure procedures for tender operators
- Drive systems onboard superyacht tenders
- Life Saving Apparatus (LSA)
- Fuel and mechanical checks and diagnosing basic engine start problems
- Passenger safety and comfort in waves and at planing speed
- Dealing with non-compliant passengers and those under the influence of alcohol
- Dealing with less mobile passengers and children
- Strategies for ensuring the safety of non-English speaking passengers
- Shorthanded anchoring, beam-to, bow-to and stern-to docking
- Recovery of MOB by day and night
- The principles of towing and being towed
- Apply the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea (IRPCS)
- Passenger briefings
- Effective management of an emergency situation by day and at night
- Produce and use effective day-time and night-time pilotage plans
- Chartplotter and waypoint navigation
WHAT RATIO IS THE RYA POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE TAUGHT TO?
Maximum of three students per boat and per instructor.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE?
- 2 days of instruction
- Use of one of our RIBs
- Loan of a life jacket
- RYA Powerboat Tender Operator Certificate/Photocard
- Free (on street) parking
- Tea & Coffee
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE?
- Wet weather gear (can be hired for £5 a day)
- Lunch (can be bought locally, but we recommend you bring a packed lunch)
WHY CHOOSE CHIEFTAIN TRAINING FOR THE RYA POWERBOAT TENDER OPERATOR COURSE?
Our Director ran some of the first ever Powerboat Tender Operator Course when it was first launched and provided valuable early feedback to the RYA. We have courses scheduled every month and are happy to set up extra dates on demand.