CAN CHILDREN JOIN A RYA POWERBOAT COURSE?
A powerboating course can be a great introduction for young boaters, teaching them valuable seamanship, navigation and boat handling skills. Our two entry-level powerboat courses, Level 1 and Level 2, are suitable for children as follows.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AGE FOR RYA POWERBOAT COURSES?
- Junior Powerboat courses (Level 1) are for 8-11 year olds
- Youth Powerboat courses (Level 1 & 2) are for 12-15 year olds
- Adult Powerboat Courses are for 16+ year old
- Family Powerboat Courses are for any combination of ages (over 7)
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES FOR JUNIOR & YOUTH RYA POWERBOATING?
Minimum age as above. No experience required.
JUNIOR & YOUTH RYA POWERBOAT COURSE CONTENT
Youth and Junior courses make use of both our tiller steered powerboat and wheel steered RIBs, the group works through the same syllabus as the adult courses however the other students on board are of similar age and the Instructor pitches the course at the appropriate age group
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR RYA JUNIOR & YOUTH POWERBOAT COURSES:
- 1 or 2 days of instruction
- Use of our RIBs (rigid inflatable boats)
- Loan of a personal flotation device
- RYA Powerboat Level 1 or 2 Certificate (as appropriate)
- RYA Start Powerboating Handbook (for the level 2 course)
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN OUR RYA POWERBOAT LEVEL 2 COURSE:
- Wet weather gear (this can be hired for £5 a day)
- Lunch please bring a packed lunch
OPTIONAL RYA POWERBOAT LEVEL 2 COURSE EXTRAS:
Fast Track 1:1 day for experienced drivers
If you are a more experienced powerboater hoping to gain your Level 2 certifucate and don’t wish to undertake the introductory elements of the Level 2 course, you can instead attend a shorter 1:1 course which consists of the relevant coaching and a direct assessment. Please contact us to find out more.
Own Boat Tuition
We can run this course on board your own boat instead of ours. We can train 1-3 powerboaters at a time and we can bespoke the course around your boat and your likely usage.
RYA POWERBOAT YOUTH & JUNIOR RATIOS:
This course will run with no more than 3 students per boat/instructor, sometimes less.