WHO REQUIRES STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE?
The STCW PST course is required by;
- Required by law for all seafarers on UK vessels over 24m
- One of two options for seafarers on UK vessels under 24m
- Required by law for all seafarers on most overseas flagged vessels
- Required by all super-yacht crew
- Required by 99% of wind farm transfer vessel crew and onboard many other work boats
- An alternative to Seafish Sea Survival for the fishing industry
- An alternative to RYA Sea Survival for commercially endorsed Yachtmaster and Advanced powerboat COC holders
- An essential pre requisite for Master 200
- An essential pre requisite for Officer of the Watch 3000 (OOW3000)
Crew on Large yachts (i..e over 24m) are required to hold this certificate before they start work, see MSN 1858
WHERE IS THE STCW PST COURSE RUN?
- Chieftain Training, Willments Shipyard, Hazel Rd, Southampton, SO19 7HS
STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE OVERVIEW:
STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST) is one of the five basic safety courses required by all professional seafarers working on vessels over 24m and can be booked as a stand alone day or part of the STCW Basic Safety Week. On the course you will cover abandonment and survival principles. This is a mandatory course under the STCW 1995 Code and STCW 2010 amendments.
HOW LONG IS STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST):
The STCW PST course takes 1 day to complete and includes a 2 hour pool session.
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES FOR THE STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE?
The Personal Survival Techniques (PST) course is suitable for all levels of experience, however the following apply;
- Minimum age 16 (14-15 year olds with good health and fitness can contact us for permission to join this course)
- Water confident (i.e. a non swimmer can join us if he/she is confident in a swimming pool)
- Reasonable physical health and fitness. You will be expected to climb into a liferaft from the pool. If in any doubt consult your GP.
INCLUDED IN THE PST COURSE?
- 1 day of training
- Practical pool session
- Loan of a life jacket for the pool session
- Loan of an immersion suit for the pool session
- Practical flare session
- Sea Survival handbook
- STCW PST Certificate
- Free parking at the training centre
- Tea & Coffee
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PST COURSE
- Meals & Accommodation
- Travel between the classroom and the pool. Most students car share. Be prepared to either drive, or contribute towards parking or a taxi as necessary.
- RYA Sea Survival. This is a dual certification option you will be offered during the booking process.
HOW LONG DOES A STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) CERTIFICATE LAST?
If you require the PST certificate for the STCW code then it has a 5 year validity after which you can attend a one day update course. If you are using PST for a RYA Commercial Endorsement then there is currently no expiry.
WHY BOOK THE PST COURSE WITH CHIEFTAIN TRAINING?
- All of our students experience firing a real live distress flare (most centres do not offer this)
- All of our students don and swim in an immersion suit (many centres ask you to watch one student in the group do this)
- All of our students see close up a wide range of lifejackets (most centres use only foam filled SOLAS LJs)
- Our Lead Survival Instructor has been teaching survival for two decades and is at the forefront of this industry and modern practice