MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM PREP COURSE DETAILS:
The MCA Celestial Navigation Exam Preparation Course s for Master 500 & Master 3000 candidates is offered as 1:1 coaching in Southampton or over zoom as suits you. Choose the time scale/number of hours that suits your budget and time
Candidates for the following Certificates of Competence are required to pass the MCA Exam
- MCA Master 500 workboat
- MCA Master 500 yachts
- MCA Master 3000 yacht
Our course refreshes you on what are often rusty skills and prepares you for the written exam.
MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM PREP OVERVIEW:
Those preparing for their Master 500 or Master 3000 Certificate of Competence oral exam are required by the MCA to pass the MCA Celestial Navigation Exam. This course helps prepare you for that exam.
The course can be carried out 1:1 over zoom with an experienced Master Mariner / Examiner, saving you hotel and travel costs and giving you the flexibility to LEARN WHILE YOU EARN.
The final exam certificate is valid for 12 months so we recommend you do not take the exam until you have completed all/most other modules.
MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM PREP FORMAT:
MCA Celestial Navigation 1:1 Training
1:1 Preparation course focusing on helping candidates to pass the MCA Celestial Navigation Exam, run from Southampton, UK or nearby. Contact time can be as long or as short as you require.
MCA Celestial Navigation 1:1 Training
This is bespoke 1:1 coaching and can be from 1-5 days as required or for shorter time intervals.
MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM PREPERATION PRE REQUISITES:
- MCA OOW (yacht, 3000) Certificate of Competence or MCA Master 200 Certificate of Competence
- RYA/MCA Ocean Yachtmaster Shorebased
- RYA/MCA Ocean Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence
MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM PREP CONTENT
- Fixing Position using Celestial bodies
- Identification and selection of the the most suitable Celestial Bodies during Twilight
- How to calculate the time of visible rising and setting of the Sun
- Calculating Altitude and Azimuth of Celestial Bodies
- Accurately Plotting the positions of Celestial Bodies in order to obtain a fix
- Using the Nautical Almanac and Calculator, or the quick method tables, to establish a Position Line from a Celestial Body
- Using a Sextant and Chronometer to observe a Celestial Body
- How to calculate Latitude by Celestial Observation
- Calculating the Latitude using Polaris
- Calculating the Latitude by Meridian Altitude of the Sun or a Planet
- Calculating the time of Meridian Altitude of the Sun or a Planet
- Establishing Compass Error by Celestial means
- Establishing Compass Error by Amplitude of the Sun or a Planet
- Establishing Compass Error by Azimuth of the Sun, a Planet or a Star
1:1 MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM PREP CLASSROOM TRAINING
- Use of resources
- Free (on street) parking
1:1 MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM PREP ZOOM TRAINING
- Zoom login
- The MCA Exam
MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM:
You must obtain an overall mark of 65% to pass. You may use any method to calculate a fix using Celestial Objects to obtain position lines, and may use the Nautical Almanac and the quick method tables. Calculators are allowed but not programmable calculators, smart phones, tablets or computers.
MCA Exam – The MCA (IAMI) exam has a fee of £150
Unlike other IAMI written exams you do not need to have passed the MCA Celestial Navigation Exam in order to apply for your Master (Yachts) 500 or 300 NOE. The Celestial Exam pass certificate is valid for 12 moths and must still be valid on the day your Master CoC is issued. For that reason we recommend you complete all other Master 500/3000 modules first.
Due to its bespoke nature the 1:1 course is best arranged by phone or email.
WHY CHOOSE CHIEFTAIN TRAINING FOR YOUR MCA CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAM PREP COURSE?
We specialise in yachting as opposed to the Merchant Navy Training Colleges who offer this course. They are more geared up towards large commercial vessels such as oil tankers and passenger ships. We are able to additionally support you with other yachting specific modules.