An in-date seafarers medical examination certificate is required by:
- Those wanting to commercially endorse a RYA/MCA Certificate of Competence
- Those intending to work at sea (in any role) on vessels over 24m
There are a number of medical certificates that can be used. If you do not already hold a medical certificate the choice is between the ML5 and the ENG1
|Carried out by any GP||Carried out by a MCA recognised Doctor|
|The GP can charge as little or as much as he/she chooses||An MCA Doctor can charge up to £95 (it is unheard of to charge less)|
|Valid for 5 years*||Valid for 2 years*|
|Can be used to commercially endorse a RYA Certificate of Competence||Can be used to commercially endorse a RYA Certificate of Competenc|
|Valid for skippers of UK commercial craft operating in cat 2-6 waters (up to 60 NM from a safe haven)||Valid on all craft operating in all areas|
|Only valid on vessel less than 24m and less than 200gt||Required by those working at sea on vessels over 24m or over 200gt, but also valid on smaller craft as well|
|You will need to take a blank ML5 Medical Form to the GP||An MCA Doctor will already have the relevant form|
* The Doctor, RYA or MCA may impose a shorter time period if they have any concerns or in the case of Yachtmaster Instructors over 67 years of age.
SUBSTITUTE SEAFARER’S MEDICALS
The following can be used as alternatives to the ML5 (i.e. on UK vessels less than 200gt, less than 24m and operating in cat 2-6 waters and up to 60 miles from a safe haven).
- HSE Divers Medical Fitness Certificate.
- CAA Commercial pilots Licence
- DVLA Group 2 Drivers Licence (HGV)
COUNTRIES WHOSE NATIONAL MARINE AUTHORITY SEAFARER’S MEDICAL CERTIFICATES ARE ACCEPTED AS EQUIVALENT TO THE ENG1
|France*||Republic of Ireland*|
* EU Member States
** EU (European Economic Area) States