WHO REQUIRES A SEAFARERS MEDICAL?
A Seafarers Medical Examination certificate (in date) is required by:
- Anyone requiring a Commercial Endorsement to a RYA/MCA Certificate of Competence
- RYA Powerboat Advanced Instructors, Cruising Instructors and Yachtmaster Instructors
- Anyone whose normal place of work is onboard a vessel over 24m
- Fisherman, whose vessel will dock in a foreign port and/or will be at sea for more than 72 hours
- Master of any sized commercial vessel
- Crew of any sized sea going passenger ship
There are a number of medical certificates that can be used. If you do not already hold a medical certificate the choice is between the ML5 and the ENG1
|Carried out by any GP||Carried out by a MCA recognised Doctor|
|The GP can charge as little or as much as he/she chooses||An MCA Doctor can charge up to £115 (it is unheard of for them to charge less).|
|Valid for 5 years*||Valid for 2 years*|
|Can be used to commercially endorse a RYA Certificate of Competence||Can be used to commercially endorse a RYA Certificate of Competence|
|Valid on UK craft (under 24m) operating up to 60 NM from a safe haven||Valid on all craft operating in all areas|
|Valid on vessel less than 24m and less than 200gt||Required on vessels over 24m or over 200gt, but also valid on smaller craft as well|
|You will need to take a blank ML5 Medical Form to the GP||An MCA Doctor will already have the relevant form|
* The RYA or MCA may impose a shorter time period if they have any concerns or in the case of Yachtmaster Instructors over 67 years of age.
WHERE CAN I BOOK A SEAFARERS MEDICAL (ENG1 OR ML5)?
Any GP can carry out a ML5, however many will not be familiar with what it is and may decline. The MCA produces a list of Approved Doctors for the ENG1.
In Southampton we use Dr Matt Prendergast at Southampton University Health Centre. Book a ENG1 medical with him. If you prefer a ML5 tell him on arrival. If there are no available slots on their website contact us and we will provide you with his email address. He can sometimes arrange out of hours appointments. He is is about 10 minutes by car from Chieftain Training Powerboat Centre and 15 minutes from Chieftain Training Offshore Survival Centre.
SUBSTITUTE SEAFARER’S MEDICALS
The following can be used as alternatives to the ML5 (i.e. on UK vessels less than 200gt, less than 24m and operating in cat 2-6 waters and up to 60 miles from a safe haven) to obtain a RYA Commercial Endorsement.
- HSE Divers Medical Fitness Certificate.
- CAA Commercial pilots Licence
- DVLA Group 2 Drivers Licence (HGV)
COUNTRIES WHOSE NATIONAL MARINE AUTHORITY SEAFARER’S MEDICAL CERTIFICATES ARE ACCEPTED AS EQUIVALENT TO THE ENG1
|France*||Republic of Ireland*|
* EU Member States
** EU (European Economic Area) States