The International Certificate of Competence (ICC)

The ICC is effectively an international certificate. It came about as the result of UN Resolution 40 and is managed in the UK by the RYA (Royal Yachting Association). Once you are certified with an ICC you can cross borders throughout much of Europe and many other parts of the world safe in the knowledge that you are licensed to operate pleasure craft. The ICC is formally accepted in those countries that have signed up to Resolution 40 (see list lower down this page) and is also accepted informally in many other countries (including Portugal, Spain, Greece and France). There are four categories of ICC:

  • Sail
  • Power (up to 10m)
  • Power
  • PWC (Jet Skis)

Your ICC can be endorsed for any (or all of) the above four categories.

We endorse all of our students who take the ICC  qualification for coastal use. The ICC can also be endorsed for inland use by taking a short multiple choice “CEVNI” paper on inland regulations. This is required by skippers intending to use the inland waterways of Holland, Belgium, France, Germany and other European countries. The upper size limit for the ICC in most countries that accept it is 80 grt (gross registered tonnes). The ICC is not intended as a commercial license.

Experienced boaters can join us for a direct assessment for the ICC or combine the assessment with some coaching if they feel they are a little rusty. The ICC can also be signed off alongside many of our RYA Courses, allowing you to, “kill two certificates with one course”.

ICC Power (up to 10m)

The ICC Power (up to 10m) can be awarded to anyone passing any of the following courses or assessments:

ICC PWC (Personal Watercraft / Jet Skis)

The ICC (PWC) can be awarded to anyone passing the RYA PWC Proficiency Course.

Cost of an ICC

We make no extra charge if you would like an ICC while taking one of the above courses, although you will need to pay the RYA a licence fee of £43. It is, however, cheaper to become an RYA member and then get the ICC for free. You can either apply for RYA membership online on this site or fill in an application form when you are with us.

Who is eligible for an ICC?

Unfortunately, due to various international agreements, we are unable to issue everyone with an ICC. The certificate is available to a person over the age of 16 who is:

  • A British National or resident
  • A Canadian National or resident
  • A USA National or resident
  • A National or resident of any country which is not UNECE (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe)
  • A National or resident of any country which is a member of UNECE but has not signed up to resolution 40

We are unable to isue an ICC to someone who is a national of a county on the list below AND is also resident in that country or another country on the same list.

  • Austria
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czechia
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Switzerland
  • Ukraine

This list (correct at 01/10/2020) is subject to change. All of our other courses and qualifications are open to every nationality and are always taught in the English language.

%d bloggers like this: