WHO IS THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE AIMED AT?
So, you want to go fast, travel at night and handle waves? The advanced course covers all this and a whole lot more. If you think it’s time you took your boat further afield or out in more challenging conditions, then this intensive and fun two days should help bring you up to scratch. Advanced students are a mix of leisure and commercial powerboat skippers.
HOW LONG DOES THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE TAKE?
2 days, including a planning speed, night navigation exercise on the first evening.
DAY 1 HOURS
- Day 1 Start Time- 0915
- Day 1 Finish Time- 3 to 4 hours after dusk (2000 in December, much later in June)
DAY 2 HOURS
- Winter – 0915 to 1600
- Summer – A shorter day as we will have covered more of the syllabus the preceding day
WHAT ARE THE RYA PRE REQUISITES FOR THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE?
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 (essential)
- RYA Intermediate Powerboat (desirable)
- Navigation knowledge up to RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased (essential)
- RYA First Aid or STCW Elementary First Aid (essential)
- RYA SRC or higher level GMDSS cert (essential)
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE?
The course includes GPS navigation, advanced boat handling, planning-speed navigation, night navigation, rough weather handling and search patterns.
WHAT RATIO IS THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE TAUGHT TO?
Maximum of three students per boat and per instructor.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE?
- 2 days and a night of instruction
- Use of one of our RIBs
- Loan of a life jacket and light
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate
- Free (on street) parking
- Tea & Coffee
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE?
- Wet weather gear (can be hired for £5 a day)
CAN I ADD A COMMERCIAL ENDORSEMENT TO THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED CERTIFICATE?
No, not unless your Advanced certificate was issued before 1 January 2005. However you can progress onto the RYA/MCA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of competence which can be commercially endorsed.