WHO IS THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE FOR?
So, you want to go fast, travel at night, handle waves and integrate your boating with the digital world? The RYA Advanced Powerboat course covers all this and a whole lot more. If you think it’s time you took your boat further afield or out in more challenging conditions, then this intensive and fun two days should help bring you up to scratch. Advanced students are a mix of leisure and commercial powerboat skippers.
HOW LONG DOES THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE TAKE?
2 days, including a night navigation, planing speed exercise on the first evening.
DAY 1 HOURS
- Day 1 Start Time- 0915
- Day 1 Finish Time- 3 to 4 hours after dusk (2000 in December, much later in June)
DAY 2 HOURS
- Winter – 0915 to 1600
- Summer – A shorter day as we will have covered more of the syllabus the preceding day
RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE ESSENTIAL PRE REQUISITES:
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Intermediate Powerboat (or equivalent experience)
- Navigation knowledge up to RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased
- RYA First Aid or STCW Elementary First Aid
- RYA SRC or higher level GMDSS cert
The course embraces the use of digital resources for passage plan and safe navigation. It also includes advanced boat handling, planing-speed navigation, night pilotage, rough weather handling, search patterns and emergency actions.
WHAT RATIO IS THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED COURSE TAUGHT TO?
There is a maximum of three students per boat and per instructor.
- Two days and a night of instruction
- Use of our RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat)
- All fuel and consumables
- Loan of a life jacket (fitted with light)
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate
- Free (on street) parking
- Tea & Coffee
- Wet weather gear (can be hired for £5 a day)
CAN I ADD A COMMERCIAL ENDORSEMENT TO THE RYA POWERBOAT ADVANCED CERTIFICATE?
If your Advanced certificate was issued before 1 January 2005 it can be commercially endorsed as a certificate of competence. If however your Advanced certificate is dated on or after this date you need to progress onto the RYA/MCA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of competence which can be commercially endorsed.
The commercial endorsement will allow you to operate commercially operated powered craft up to 24m, (assuming relevant experience) up to 20 miles from a safe haven by day and night with no weather or seasonal restrictions.