Chieftain Charity & Community Work

Training Organisations are often asked if they can help charities and good causes. While we recognise there are many good causes out there we are only a small organisation with limited resources and we simply can not help everyone, so we sometimes have to decline. We  usually give priority to organisations or causes that fulfill one or more of the following criteria;

  • Life boat charities whose mission is to reduce/prevent the loss of life at sea
  • UK based charities supporting children, facing extreme neglect, abuse, poverty or violence
  • UK based charities supporting children who require medical help that is not usually available under the NHS
  • UK based charities whose aims are to prevent or alleviate the effects of life-threatening illness
  • Individuals suffering from a terminal condition and whose chances of longer term survival will be considerably increased if they receive assistance

We are more likely to help individuals and organisations based in the geographic area we operate in (Southampton/Solent). We are unlikely to support projects where part of the sponsorship money will be used by the fund-raiser to pay for their own activity (for example a sponsored parachute jump where the first £500 pays for the jump and the charity only receives funds over and above that). We have selected three charity partners for the 2023-2024 period. As one of our organisation’s key objectives is specifically to support lifeboat charities it is not surprising that two of our chosen charity partners are local lifeboat charities


  • Southampton Children’s Hospital Charity
  • Gosport & Fareham Inshore Rescue Service (GAFIRS)
  • Solent Rescue

Southampton Children’s Hospital Charity

Southampton Children’s Hospital Charity helps to enhance the care and treatment of children at University Hospital Southampton. They raise money and provide financial support to areas of the hospital service that lie beyond the scope of NHS funding. Chieftain Training are specifically supporting the refurbishment of the children’s trauma and orthopaedic wards.

GAFIRS LogoGosport and Fareham Inshore Rescue Service (GAFIRS) is an independent lifeboat and inshore rescue service that was founded in 1969. As a declared facility to the UK Coastguard, they provide emergency lifeboat cover to the Eastern Solent and Portsmouth Harbour. The crews live normal lives just like you. However, when the Coastguard activate them on pager call out, they drop everything at a moment’s notice and respond to people in distress; 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and in all weathers. On average GAFIRS responds to 100 incidents per year. These vary from towing stricken vessels away from danger, all the way to providing life saving first aid to critically injured casualties. Time and time again their crews have been awarded national commendations for their life saving services to the community.

All crew and shore side support are volunteers and the whole operation is funded 100% by donations from the public. If you or your family go boating in the Eastern Solent you should view a donation to GAFIRS as part of your insurance policy!

Solent RescueSolent Rescue is a small independent rescue charity founded in 1971 initially as a beach rescue service.

Since 1971 the charity has grown into a lifeboat service, adhering to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency’s Rescue Boat Code. The service operates 2 lifeboats and provides first aid cover for Lepe Country Park.

Solent Rescue is a member of the Solent Sea Rescue Organisation which is made up of 7 independent lifeboats.

This organisation is part of a wider group of independent lifeboats that make up 25% of all lifeboat services in the UK, with the RNLI accounting for the remaining 75%.

The charity is run entirely by volunteers, these are amazing individuals who come together to make a difference in their local community.

%d bloggers like this: