RYA SRC ASSESSOR / INSTRUCTOR COURSE AIMS:
RYA SRC Assessor is the correct title for a RYA VHF Instructor. The course will equip you to;
- Instruct the RYA Short Range Certificate Course in the classroom
- Instruct the RYA Short Range Certificate Online Course
- Assess the RYA Short Range Certificate Exam
HOW LONG IS THE RYA SRC ASSESSOR / INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
Two days (plus pre course work)
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES TO BECOME A RYA SRC ASSESSOR?
- Minimum age 18
- RYA Short Range Certificate or higher GMDSS Certificate of Competence
- RYA SRC course (online or classroom) within the last five years (Recommended)
- RYA Practical Instructor in any scheme OR RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
- RYA Teaching in the Classroom (TiC) or IMO 6.09 Train the Trainer or Level 3 Award in Education & Training (or higher level UK Teaching Award)
- RYA Membership
- Expected to be familiar with the operation of Class D radios and radio equipment typically carried in GMDSS Area A1
RYA SRC ASSESSOR COURSE
The SRC Assessor (VHF Instructor) course is a classroom-based course comprising of training and assessment. There will be discussions surrounding the running of RYA Short Range Certificate courses, the syllabus, equipment required and resources available. The programme below is for guidance and may change slightly
|Day 1||Day 2|
|GMDSS Revision||Candidates Sessions & Debriefs|
|Distress working||Review of the SRC written examinations|
|Practical use of training sets||Practical assessment|
|Online marine radio course|
|Urgency and safety alerts|
|Navtex, EPIRBs and SARTS|
|Teaching voice training|
|Written SRC examination|
- Pre Course Reading
- 2 days of training/assessment
- Use of our live Class A and Class D VHF sets
- Use of our live Navtex sets
- Use of our SARTs, EPIRBs, PLBs, HH VHF and antennas
- Use of our computer simulators
- RYA SRC Course Notes
- RYA SRC Exam papers and powerpoint resources (to take away
- Tea & Cofee
- Free (on street) parking
WHAT IS THE TEACHING RATIO?
RYA SRC Assessor Training takes place with up-to 6 candidates per Trainer. The RYA does not sanction 1:1 Instructor courses.
HOW LONG IS THE RYA SRC ASSESSOR QUALIFICATION VALID?
The SRC Assessor Certificate lasts 5 years. After 5 years an online revalidation is required.
BOOKING THE RYA SRC ASSESSOR COURSE:
Bookings are taken and managed by the RYA at RYA Instructor Courses and Revalidations. Whole groups (i.e. six candidates) may approach us to request bespoke dates.
WHY TAKE YOUR SRC ASSESSOR COURSE AT CHIEFTAIN TRAINING?
- Our Lead Trainer has been at the forefront of the SRC course since its inception in the 90s.
- We deliver all 5 levels of GMDSS course so are experts across the subject
- We are the only RYA school that has live Class A sets in the classroom, so we can simulate interactions with a coastguard station.
- We have 14 live modern Class D VHF/DSC sets in the classroom
- We have a wide range of live Navtex and dummy EPIRBs, SARTs, PLBs and AIS in the classroom