WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES REFRESHER COURSE OVERVIEW:
If you have previously taken a two-day ISAF/World Sailing Offshore Safety Course and RYA Sea Survival Course and your certificate has expired (after five years) then this one day refresher course will qualify you for a further five years.
The course refreshes both the Sea Survival and ISAF/World sailing Offshore Safety components of the two-day course. This training satisfies World Sailing Offshore Special Regulations 6.01 and 6.02 and is required by crew participating in Cat 0, 1 & 2 offshore races and double handed teams in Cat 3 races).
Our lead Survival Instructor was the first Instructor in the UK to deliver this course and has been doing so regularly ever since.
HOW LONG IS THE WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES REFRESHER COURSE?
1 day – 0900 to 1715
WHAT ARE THE WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE PRE REQUISITES?
An existing World Sailing (or ISAF) Offshore Safety Certificate (taken about 5 years ago or more)
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE?
- Changes in the Offshore Special Regulations (last five years)
- Changes to the IRPCS (last five years)
- Life raft and life jacket update
- Changes in safety equipment
- Update to distress calling by voice
- Fleet trackers
- Practical life raft session refresher (two-hour pool session)
- Practical flare Session (live firing)
- Lessons learnt from fatal accidents and incidents in offshore races
- Changes in UK SAR
- Changes in meteorological services
- Hypothermia and Cold Water Shock
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE?
- A day of training
- Two hour pool session with use of life raft
- Live flare session
- Loan of a life jacket for the pool session
- Loan of wet weather gear for the pool session
- World Sailing Offshore Personal Survival Techniques Certificate (valid for a further 5 years)
- Tea & Coffee
- Free parking at the centre (on street)
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE?
- Lunch (please bring a packed lunch)
- Travel between the classroom and the pool. Most students car share. Be prepared to either drive, or contribute towards parking or a taxi as necassary.
WHAT IS THE TEACHING RATIO FOR THE WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE?
Class sizes can be as low as 2 and may be upto 16. The course is delivered by a Lead Instructor who is joined by a second staff member for the pool session.