OFFSHORE SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE OVERVIEW:
If you have previously taken a two-day ISAF/World Sailing Offshore Safety Course and RYA Sea Survival Course and your certificate has expired (after five years) then this one day refresher course will qualify you for a further five years.
The course refreshes both the Sea Survival and ISAF/World sailing Offshore Safety components of the two-day course. This training satisfies World Sailing Offshore Special Regulations 6.01 and 6.02 and is required by crew participating in Cat 0, 1 & 2 offshore races (and certain crew on Cat 3 races)
To our knowledge, our lead Survival Instructor was the first Instructor in the UK to deliver this course.
OFFSHORE SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE DURATION:
1 day – 0930 to 1700 hrs.
OFFSHORE SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
- An existing ISAF Offshore Safety Certificate (taken about 5 years ago or more)
- An existing RYA Sea Survival Certificate (any date)
OFFSHORE SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE CONTENT:
- Changes in the Offshore Special Regulations (last five years)
- Changes to the IRPCS (last five years)
- Life raft and life jacket update
- Changes in safety equipment
- Update to distress calling by voice
- Fleet trackers
- Practical life raft session refresher (two-hour pool session)
- Practical flare Session (live firing)
- Lessons learnt from fatal accidents and incidents in offshore races
- Changes in UK SAR
- Changes in meteorological services
- Fire fighting refresher
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR OFFSHORE SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE:
- A day of training
- Two hour pool session with use of life raft
- Live flare session
- Loan of a life jacket for the pool session
- World Sailing Offshore Safety Certificate (valid for 5 years)
- Tea & Coffee
- Free parking at the centre (on street)
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN OUR OFFSHORE SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE:
- Lunch (available to buy locally)
- Wet weather gear (hire from us for £5, but only if pre booked)
- Travel between the classroom and the pool. Most students car share. Be prepared to either drive, or contribute towards parking or a taxi as necassary.
WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL REFRESHER COURSE RATIO:
Class sizes can be as low as 2 and may be upto 16. The course is delivered by a Lead Instructor who is joined by a second staff member for the pool session. If the class size exceeds 8, they are split into two groups for the pool session.