The full name for this course is the “RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased”
YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE AIMS:
To advance your navigation skills and learn the principles of navigation and passage planning for coastal and offshore passages. It is aimed at those who will go on to attend an Advanced Powerboat, Coastal Skipper Practical, Yachtmaster Coastal or Yachtmaster Prep Week course and is totally classroom based.
YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE DURATION:
We run this course in three different formats, so you can choose the one that suits you.
- Our most popular option is the Six day course. This is run over six consecutive days commencing on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday. We run this course regularly
- Alternatively you can take the course over fifteen evenings of Night School (1830 to 2135 each week) or 1 weekend plus 10 evenings. Night school tends to be during the winter months
- For those who are not local to us there is an online Yachtmaster Shorebased Course.
Each variation of the RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Shorebased course can be booked at the bottom of this page.
YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
This is an advanced course in navigation, students should-
- Hold RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate (or have equivalent knowledge). If you haven’t passed the Day Skipper course but believe you have the necessary knowledge, why not give us a call to discuss your background?
- Have some experience of putting the above knowledge into practice.
- Have a working knowledge of the IRPCS
- If you have not already then we “recommend” you also take the RYA Short Range Certificate.
YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE CONTENT:
Prior to the course we send out some Collision Regulations to be learnt in advance. On arrival or when you book the online course you will receive the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore shorebased pack and handbook. Three assessment papers are included. Students will also receive the details to access the online chart plotter and run a number of sessions using our live Garmin GPS Chart plotters.
The three assessment papers cover collision regulations, chart-work and passage planning. In addition to these subjects the course also covers safety equipment, stability, electronic navigation, meteorology, sailing abroad and skippers responsibilities. At the end of the course your Instructor will give you a full debrief.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE:
RYA Yachtmaster training at Chieftain Training is comprehensive. We aim to make life as easy as possible for our students and provide the following within the course:
- 2 RYA Training Charts
- RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Handbook
- RYA Yachtmaster Exercises publication
- RYA Electronic Chart Plotter (for PC or Mac)
- Use of plotter, dividers and training almanac whilst at the training centre*
- RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Certificate
* students attending night school or booking an online course will need to purchase a plotter, dividers and a training almanac on the first evening as we are unable to lend these items
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN OUR YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE:
RYA YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE RATIOS
The class size is typicaly 3-5, although we will run the course with only 2 students and may take upto 6 on the six-day course and upto 12 on night school.
BOOKING THE YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE:
Booking options for the 6-day, weekends, evening classes and online course are all shown below. If you would like to book the online course, please change the drop down “Category” menu below to “online.”
If the dates below do not suit you please let us know. It may be we can offer something else, particularly if you are booking several months in advance.