The full name for this course is the “RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased”
YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE AIMS:
To advance your navigation skills and learn the principles of navigation and passage planning for coastal and offshore passages. It is aimed at those who will go on to attend an Advanced Powerboat, Coastal Skipper Practical, Yachtmaster Coastal or Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation course and is totally classroom based.
YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE DURATION
We run this course in five different formats, so you can choose the one that suits you.
Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Courses during Covid-19 Lockdown
- Webinar- ten sessions- Face to face (only available during Covid-19 lockdown)
- Online- in your own time at your own pace
Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Courses after Covid-19 Lockdown
- Six day course- Six consecutive days commencing on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday.
- Night School- Fifteen evenings (1830 to 2135 each week)
- Night School Plus- 1 weekend plus 10 evenings
- Weekends- A mixture of weekends and/or long weekends to make up 6 days
- Online- in your own time, at your own pace
Each variation of the RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Shorebased course can be booked at the bottom of this page.
YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
This is an advanced course in navigation, students should-
- Hold RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate (or have equivalent knowledge). If you haven’t passed the Day Skipper course but believe you have the necessary knowledge, why not give us a call to discuss your background?
- Have some experience of putting the above knowledge into practice.
- Have a working knowledge of the IRPCS
- If you have not already then we “recommend” you also take the RYA Short Range Certificate.
YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE CONTENT:
On arrival at our centre you will receive the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore shorebased pack and handbook. This who opt for either the webinar or online course will have these resources mailed to them before the course.
There are three assessment papers, which cover collision regulations, chart-work and passage planning. In addition to these subjects the course also covers safety equipment, stability, electronic navigation, meteorology, sailing abroad and skippers responsibilities. At the end of the course your Instructor will give you a full debrief.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE:
RYA Yachtmaster training at Chieftain Training is comprehensive. We aim to make life as easy as possible for our students and provide the following within the course:
- 2 RYA Training Charts
- RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Handbook
- RYA Yachtmaster Exercises publication
- Use of plotter, dividers and training almanac whilst at the training centre*
- RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Certificate
* students attending night school, webinar or online courses will need to purchase a plotter, dividers and a training almanac as we are unable to lend these items
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN OUR YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE
6 day and Split Weekend Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased
- Meals and accommodation
Night School Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased
- Meals and accommodation
- Plotter and dividers to take away for homework (available to buy from us)
Webinar and Online Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased
- Plotter and dividers (available to buy from us)
- Overseas postage- (click for charges)
RYA YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE RATIOS:
The RYA imposes a maximum of ratio of 12 students on this course. However we prefer you to be able to access more of the Instructors time so apply the following ratios;
- Webinar courses are limited to 8 students, the Instructor will also be able to provide some 1:1 support out of hours if required
- Online courses- your login is unique to you and you can access instructor support by emial as required
- 6-day and weekend courses, maximum 6 students with a double desk per person so you can each spread your charts our
RYA YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED ONLINE & WEBINAR COURSE INVIGILATION:
If you are taking the online or webinar version of the course you will complete the same three assessment papers as our classroom students. For the majority of our students these papers do not require invigilation. However if you intend to use the certificate as entry into the OOW 3000 or Master 200 certification route then you will require invigilation. This does not have to be carried out here in Southampton, we can arrange for invigilation with an RYA Instructor near you (for which there may be a small fee).
RYA YACHTMASTER OFFSHORE SHOREBASED WEBINAR COURSE REQUIREMENTS:
If you choose the Webinar version of this course (available during Covid-19 lockdown) you will require;
- Use of a desktop, laptop or tablet with reasonable broadband connection (a smart phone is to small)
- A room at home where you will not be disturbed by other household members
- Access to a printer (between sessions)
BOOKING THE YACHTMASTER SHOREBASED COURSE:
Booking options for the webinar, 6-day, weekends, evening classes and online course are all shown below. If you would like to book the online course, please change the drop down “Course” menu below to “RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Shorebased (online).”
If the dates below do not suit you, please let us know. It may be we can offer something else, particularly if you are booking several months in advance and/or there is more than 1 of you.