The Joining Instructions below cover the following STCW shorebased courses
- STCW Basic Safety Week
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST)
- STCW Elementary First Aid (EFA)
- STCW Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities (PSSR)
- STCW Proficiency in Security Awareness (PSA)
- STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
- STCW Medical First Aid (MFA)
- STCW Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF)
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats (PSCRB)
- STCW HELM Operational (HELMO)
- STCW Updates
If you course is not listed above then you probably need one of the following pages instead
- Navigation Courses Joining Instructions
- Short Shorebased Courses Joining Instructions
- E-Learning / Online Courses Joining Instructions
WHERE (STCW COURSES)
STCW Courses normally meet at Fire Aid, Hythe (near Southampton). The postcode is SO45 6HE. Directions and public transport recommendations can be found at https://chieftain.training/where-is-fire-aid/
TIMINGS & REGISTRATION (STCW COURSES)
Registration starts promptly at 0830, however the centre is open before then if you are early and would like a tea or coffee. Most courses finish around 1700 or a little earlier.
Please bring original national photo identification with you for verification by the Training Facilitator. This can be a current Passport, Driving Licence, or Seaman’s Discharge Book. This is an essential requirement and you will be unable to participate if one of these is not available for verification.
If you are issued with a security pass for entrance to the site, be aware that there will be a £20 charge if this is lost or not returned on your final day.
MEALS ON STCW COURSES
Refreshments and a sandwich lunch are included if you are with us for the full day, alternatively there is a village shop 1 mile away. If you are staying in the on-site accommodation then breakfast is available and included. Evening meals are not.
PRE REQUISITES FOR STCW COURSES
Some courses have pre requisites, these are not optional, they are requirements. If you are unsure what they are please check back against the relevant product page (the links in the list of courses at the top of this page).
WHAT TO BRING FOR STCW COURSES
- Current national ID- one of
- Driving Licence
- Seaman’s Discharge book
- Note Pad & Pen
- Existing Certificate if you are attending an update
- Warm clothes for all courses which include outdoor sessions
- Wear Loose comfortable clothing for the classroom
- If additional equipment is required for specific courses it is detailed in each course section below
We ask that you wear casual clothes for these training courses. We recommend that you do not bring any valuables with you, as neither Chieftain Training or Fire Aid will be held responsible for any items lost, stolen or damaged during your course
PRE COURSE PREPARATION FOR STCW COURSES
Prior to attending the course please complete both of the PFDs linked below
Completed forms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, this will save considerable admin time being wasted o the first morning.
CERTIFICATION FOR STCW COURSES
Certification is issued at the discretion of Fire Aid and is conditional on 100% attendance and successfully completing any assessments.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
EXTRA NOTES FOR STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES & PERSONAL SURVIVAL UPDATE COURSES
For your practical ‘Personal Survival Techniques’ session, please ensure you bring a towel, swimwear, long trousers and a long sleeve top to wear in the pool, and a bag for wet clothing.
Be aware that the practical element of this session is off-site in central Southampton and we will ask the group to car share or catch the Hythe Ferry across to the Town Quay. You must therefore budget for a ferry fare or fuel/parking.
More details about the location of the pool will be given on the day.