WHO REQUIRES STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE?
- Required by law for all seafarers on UK vessels over 200 tonnes
- One of two options for seafarers on UK vessels under 200 tonnes
- Required by law for all seafarers on most overseas flagged vessels
- Required by all super-yacht crew
- Required by 99% of wind farm transfer vessel crew and onboard many other work boats
- An alternative to Seafish Sea Survival for the fishing industry
- An alternative to RYA Sea Survival for commercially endorsed Yachtmaster and Advanced powerboat COC holders
- An essential pre requisite for Master 200
- An essentiel pre requisite for Officer of the Watch 3000 (OOW3000)
STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE OVERVIEW:
STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST) is one of the five basic safety courses required by all professional seafarers working on vessels over 200 tonnes and can be booked as a stand alone day or part of the STCW Basic Safety Week. It is a sea survival course that covers abandonment and survival principles and is required by the STCW 1995 Code of practice and STCW 2010 amendments. From August 2021 this course is available at our Woolston, Southampton Centre.
STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE DURATION:
The STCW PST course takes 1 day to complete and includes a 2 hour pool session.
STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
The Personal Survival Techniques (PST) course is suitable for all levels of experience, however the following apply;
- Minimum age 16 (14-15 year olds with good health and fitness can contact us for permission to join this course)
- Water confident (i.e. a non swimmer can join us if he/she is confident in a swimming pool)
- Reasonable physical health and fitness. You will be expected to climb into a liferaft from the pool. If in any doubt consult your GP.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE:
- 1 day of training
- Practical pool session
- Loan of a life jacket for the pool session
- Loan of an immersion suit for the pool session
- Sea Survival handbook
- STCW PST Certificate
- Free parking at the training centre
- Tea & Coffee
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE:
- Meals & Accommodation
- Travel between the classroom and the pool. Most students car share. Be prepared to either drive, or contribute towards parking or a taxi as necessary.
WHY BOOK STCW PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST) COURSE WITH CHIEFTAIN TRAINING:
- All of our students experience firing a real live distress flare (most centres do not offer this)
- All of our students don and swim in an immersion suit (many centres ask you to watch one student in the group do this)
- All of our students see close up a wide range of lifejackets (most centres use only foam filled SOLAS LJs)
- Our Lead Survival Instructor has been teaching survival for two decades and is at the forefront of his industry