12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE AIMS:
The 12 Volt Marine Electrics Course will help you understand how to look after your on-board electric systems. It encourages you to solve problems that occur both in port and at sea. This course may help you avoid costly call outs. This course is suitable for sailors, powerboaters, narrow boat owners and super-yacht engineers and helps skippers and owners become more self-reliant. The course has also been popular with caravan and camper conversion enthusiasts.
12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE OVERVIEW
This is one of our Chieftain Training home grown courses. We are unaware of another similar course being run anywhere. The course is aimed at sea going yacht and powerboat owners/skippers and inland waterway narrowboat owners alike. It is a very “hand’s on” course.
HOW LONG DOES THE 12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE TAKE?
2 days – 09:15 to 16:15
You can also take this course content as part of our longer Yacht Maintenance Week
Basic knowledge of sailing yachts and/or powerboats OR caravans/camper vans. Typically this means having attended the Powerboat Level 2 or Day Skipper practical or higher level course or having similar experience.
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE 12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE?
- Overview of AC & DC
- Voltage and Current
- The DC circuit
- The 12 Volt Circuit
- Lights, switches and fuses
- Connecting an instruments
- Resistance and power
- Calculating the correct fuse
- Selecting the correct cable/wire
- Relays and switches
- Intro to circuit diagrams
- 12 Volt DC Fault Finding & Troubleshooting
- Using a multi meter
- Testing continuity and circuit
- Circuit faults
- Charging faults
- Engine battery systems and power management
- 12 Volt Connections
- Heat sealing
- 12V tools
- Connecting batteries
- Following a 12 Volt circuit diagram
- 12 Volt Batteries
- Battery types and choice of battery
- Charging (shore power, alternator, wind and solar)
- Battery management
- The Vessel
- Galvanic protection
An ongoing theme of this course is practical fault finding. During the course you will make use of our training boards/simulators which include night lights, instruments, VHF sets, kill cords, etc. and you will work through common problems that occur with 12 volt marine installations.
- 2 days of training & use of simulators / training boards / tools
- 12 Volt Marine Electrics Certificate (PDF sent by email following the course)
- Essential Electrics Handbook: A Skipper’s Guide to Electrical Systems by Campbell De Burgh (retails at £11.99)
- Free (on street) parking
- Tea & Coffee
- Meals and accommodation
12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE RATIO:
We run this course with a maximum of 8 students. The class size however is typically 4-6 students and we will run the course with as few as 2 students.