TEMPORARY COVID 19 LOCKDOWN VERSION BELOW
LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE OVERVIEW:
If you are a Yacht Crew, Skipper Instructor or Steward(ess) and you are involved with the preparation or handling of food then this is the course for you.
Our Food Safety at Sea (Level 2) Course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health and meets all requirements of the CIEH Foundation Certificate in Food Safety (Level 2).
This means it is accepted by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) as fulfilling the requirements of Annex 1 of Merchant Shipping Notice MSN 1846 (M) and satisfies the training requirement for catering staff for Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) compliant vessels. (note the MCA DO NOT accept online Food Safety Courses).
LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE AIMS:
This course reinforces the importance of food safety and provides students with an understanding of how to identify and control food safety hazards on board their own vessel, we specifically look at some of the constraints on board yachts and other small craft.
LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE DURATION:
- 1 day: 0930 to 1600.
- During the Covid 19 lockdown we are temporarily offering this course as an interactive webinar where you are face to face with the Instructor over an internet connection. Following the group course you will need to take the assessment 1:1 over the same connection. assessment is typically 30 minutes, although you can take longer if you need. Assessment times are agreed between you and the Instructor
LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
- Minimum age 16
- During the Covid 19 lockdown we are temporarily offering this course as an interactive webinar, you will require’
- Reasonable broadband connection
- Device with webcam (smart phone is too small)
- A quiet room where you will not be disturbed by other household members
LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE CONTENT:
- Introduction to Food Safety
- Key terms for food safety
- The importance of food safety
- Vulnerable groups of people
- Food safety legislation
- Food safety training
- Food Safety Hazards
- Microbial contamination
- Food-borne illness
- Allergenic contamination
- Physical contamination
- Chemical contamination
- Food spoilage
- Good Food safety Practice
- Time and temperature control
- Personal hygiene
- Vesel hygiene
- Food pests
- Delivery, storage and stock control
- Food Safety Management Systems
- What is HACCP?
- HACCP – a 12-step process
- Small Craft (below 24m)
- Larger vessels
- Record keeping
- Multiple Choice Paper
We should be clear at the outset that the accredited course syllabus includes some content related to small craft and some relevant to larger craft and land based establishments.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE:
- 1 Day of Training ( including assessment)
- 1 Further free assessment (if required, must be taken within 12 months)
- CIEH Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Food Safety Certificate (by PDF)
- Food Safety Handbook
- Tea & Coffee
- Free (on street) parking
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN OUR LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE:
LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE RATIO:
We run this course with up to 15 students, however will normally have less. We will run the course with as few as 2 students.
LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA ONLINE WEBINAR OPTION:
Only available during the Covid 19 lockdown. The course is delivered face to face online to a group. We will provide all log in details before the course and the book will be posted out separately (post course). Following 2 session (typically 2 evenings), the Instructor will arrange a 1:1 face to face oral assessment online with each candidate. This option is only available during the Covid 19 pandemic. It is CIEH compliant and your certificate will therefore be MCA compliant for MLC.
BOOKING THE LEVEL 2 FOOD SAFETY AT SEA COURSE:
If the dates below do not suit you, we can set up a bespoke 1:1, 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you.