RYA RADAR INSTRUCTOR COURSE AIMS:
The RYA Radar Instructor course will equip you to instruct the RYA Radar Course. The subject knowledge, interpersonal skills and teaching ability that you bring to the classroom session will be assessed and honed with the above course in mind. Your understanding of the syllabi, the structure of the course and the level at which it should be taught will be developed during this course.
The course atkes a day, and there is some pre course work to complete.
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES TO BECOME A RYA RADAR INSTRUCTOR?
- Minimum age 18
- RYA Radar course certificate (or higher marine radar operator’s course certificate)
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence OR an RYA Powerboat Advanced Instructor certificate
- RYA Teaching in the Classroom (TiC) or Level 3 Award in Education & Training (or higher level UK Teaching Award or IMO Train the Trainer 6.01
- RYA Membership
- Small craft marine radar knowledge well in excess of the RYA Radar syllabus. Candidates must be experienced operators of small craft marine radar for collision avoidance and pilotage in good and poor visibility.
- Pre Course Reading
- 1 day of training/assessment
- Use of our radar simulators, training SARTs, training AIS and reflectors
- RYA Radar Course Notes
- Tea & Coffee
- Free (on street) parking
- Meals & Accommodation
RYA Instructor training takes place with up-to 6 candidates per Trainer. The RYA does not sanction 1:1 Instructor courses.
HOW LONG IS THE RYA RADAR INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE VALID FOR?
5 years. After 5 years a free online Instructor revalidation is required.
BOOKING THE RYA RADAR INSTRUCTOR COURSE:
Bookings are taken and managed by the RYA at RYA Instructor Courses and Revalidations