RYA POWERBOAT INSTRUCTOR COURSE AIMS:
To equip new instructors with the skills and knowledge required to teach the RYA Powerboat Scheme at RYA centres in the UK and overseas.
HOW LONG IS THE RYA POWERBOAT INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
The actual course is 3 days, however candidates must complete a PBI Skills Assessment before embarking on the Instructor Course. Consequently we run the combined programme over 4 days
- Day 1 – RYA Powerboat Instructor Skills Assessment
- Days 2, 3, 4 – Powerboat Instructor Course
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES TO BECOME A RYA POWERBOAT INSTRUCTOR?
- RYA Powerboat Instructor Skills Assessment, completed on the first day of this package
- RYA First Aid Certificate or equivalent (essential)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 (essential)
- RYA Dayskipper Shorebased (desirable)
- RYA SRC or higher level GMDSS cert (desirable)
- 5 years experience powerboating or one season full time (essential)
- Minimum age of 16 years
- Familiarity with a range of craft
- RYA Membership
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE RYA POWERBOAT INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
The emphasis is on how to teach the relevant skills and how to debrief students. Successful candidates become qualified to teach RYA Level 1 and Level 2 courses and assess ICC students at RYA Powerboat Training Centres.
WHAT’S INCLUDED ON THE RYA POWERBOAT INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
- Both the Powerboat Instructor Skills Assessment and the PBI course itself
- 4 days of training/assessmment
- Use of our RIBs
- Loan of a life jacket
- Free (on street) parking
- Tea & Coffee
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED ON THE RYA POWERBOAT INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
- Wet weather gear (£5 per day to hire)
WHAT IS THE RYA POWERBOAT INSTRUCTOR COURSE RATIO?
RYA Powerboat Instructor training takes place with 2-6 candidates on the course. The RYA does not sanction 1:1 Instructor courses. There will be up to 3 candidates per boat.
WHY CHOOSE CHIEFTAIN TRAINING FOR THE RYA POWERBOAT INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
Powerboat Instructor and Advanced Powerboat Instructor Courses are taught by Powerboat Trainers. We are one of the very few training centress in the world that has Two Advanced Powerboat Trainers on its staff. This means we can be much more flexible with training dates.
We have run a diverse range of powerboat courses. This means our Trainers can relate to the type of craft you will be using and the environment you will be working in. Our Instructor courses are run predominantly using our 6m and 7m RIBs, although we are also spend some time looking at teaching techniques for smaller tiller steered craft.