RYA PPR COURSE OVERVIEW:
Each year approximately 4,500 people apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement in order to use their RYA/MCA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew. They include:
- Delivery Skippers and Crew
- RYA Yachting and Powerboat Instructors
- Charter Skippers
- Charter Yacht Crew
- Super Yacht Crew
- Work-Boat Skippers
- Harbour Masters
- RIB Drivers
- Corporate Skippers
- Deck Hands
Whatever your job is on board, in the commercial world you are a professional seafarer. As such, you are no different from the captain of a cruise liner; you have a duty of care to crew, to passengers, and to other water users, and you will be held to account if things go wrong. The RYA PPR (Professional Practices & Responsibilities) Course will introduce you to these responsibilities and is required in order to commercially endorse your RYA/MCA Certificate of Competence.
RYA PPR OVERVIEW FOR COMMERCIAL SKIPPERS:
As a competent skipper, you will have already passed a rigorous practical exam. In order to commercially endorse that certificate you need to hold a Medical, a Sea Survival Certificate and this PPR Certificate. This is an online E Learning course but we are available to provide email support if you need it.
RYA PPR COURSE AIMS:
To introduce seafarers to relevant legislation applicable to them, including SOLAS, COSWoP, MARPOL, Flag State, Port State Authorities and the Codes of Practice. Upon completion of the course you won’t necessarily be able to quote all of these regulations by rote, but will be aware of them and know where to read more about them.
THREE & A HALF MINUTE INTRO TO THE RYA PPR COURSE:
RYA PPR COURSE DURATION:
You should allow yourself around six to eight hours to complete this online course. This can be in more than one session, however each assessment is timed and must be taken in a single unit. You should also allow up to two hours to take the two online exams.
RYA PPR COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
The course is aimed at those who hold a RYA Certificate of Competence and want to commercially endorse that certificate.
Certificates of Competence include:
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Power
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Sail
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Power
- MCA / RYA Advanced Powerboat
You can also commercially endorse the following RYA Certificates:
- RYA Dayskipper Shorebased with Dayskipper Sail
- RYA Dayskipper Shorebased with Dayskipper Power
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
RYA PPR FOR COMMERCIAL ENDORSEMENT CONDITIONS:
Commercial Endorsement Applications:
- You must hold a PPR certificate
- You are exempt from this if you hold an MCA Master 200 Certificate of Competence (or higher)
RYA PPR COURSE CONTENT:
The RYA PPR (Professional Practices & Responsibilities) course covers the legal framework you need to adhere to in your status as a commercial operator, whatever type of vessel you work on. Whist we can’t teach the specific rules for every type of operation, the course will help you to understand and execute your duty of care, and give you principles, guidance and techniques to help you make the right choices and decisions.
The course is split into 4 sections:
- Commercial environment – showing how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – explaining the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – teaching about the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
At the end of these training modules is the online assessment.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR RYA PPR COURSE:
- Online E-Learning PPR Course
- PPR Certificate (you can print yourself)
- Email support from our team of Instructors
RYA PPR COURSE OPTIONAL EXTRAS:
RYA Commercial Regulations support book, (this is not required for the P.P.R. course, but you may find it useful reading).
If you do not want to take the course online then we can arrange a 1:1 course for you in the classroom where an Instructor will work through the on screen course with you.
BOOKING THE RYA PPR COURSE:
Please use the online booking facility below. Ithe course comes with full telephone and e-mail support, and there is a short manual activation process; once you have booked please allow one working day for us to e-mail you your username and password.
If you would prefer to discuss this with someone, or book over the phone, you can contact the admin team.
WHY CHOOSE CHIEFTAIN TRAINING FOR YOUR RYA PPR COURSE?
- When the RYA wrote this course back in 2011, our lead Instructor was on hand to help proof read it and test it, during the development stages.
- Unlike some of our competitors, we charge no extra fees for our support through the course. There is nothing more to pay after the course fee
- We have a team of full time sail and power instructors who can provide email support, if you need it.
- You do not need to attend our centre, the whole course is taken online.