WHO IS THE LRC (LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE) FOR?
- Skippers and crew of Yachts (under 24m) operating beyond VHF range (Area A2, A3 and A4)
- Blue water sailors
- Trans Ocean sailors
- ARC sailors & World ARC sailors
- Oyster Rally sailors
- Delivery Skippers
- Commercial Yachtmaster Offshore COC holders operating in Cat 1 waters (60-150 miles from a safe haven)
- Commercial Yachtmaster Ocean COC holders operating in Cat 0 waters (beyond 150 miles from safe haven)
- Workboat (under 24m) skippers/crew operating on vessels beyond VHF range (Area A2, A3 and A4)
- Medics/ Radio operators onboard some offshore rigs
LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC) OVERVIEW:
The course and exam will build upon the basic skills land knowledge learnt on the RYA Short Range Certificate and will introduce Medium Frequency and High Frequency (MF&HF) marine radios. These are sometime known as Single Sideband (SSB). This will allow the Operator to use marine radio offshore, when beyond the limits of VHF radio.
LONG RANGE RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC) COURSE DURATION:
- 3 Days including exam
LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE PRE REQUISITES:
- Hold the RYA SRC (Short Range Certificate)
- Read the handbook before the course
- Learn the phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie etc.)
- Learn the information we send out before the course
- While under 16s can take the course, you must be 16 or over to take the exam and be issued the certificate
LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE CONTENT:
The course will provide a refresher on VHF and voice procedures whilst devoting considerable time to operating in sea areas A2, A3 and A4 (MF and HF SSB). Our Instructor will prepare you for the exam which takes place on the final day.
There are three components to the exam;
- Written Paper – Radio Procedures & Regulations
- Practical Exercise – Voice procedures during distress communications
- Practical Exam – Demonstrate use of the equipment
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE:
- Use of our VHF / DSC simulators (Simrad, Icom, Silva)
- Use of our MF/HF Simulators (Icom)
- Use of our live Navtex sets (Nasa, ICS)
- 3 days of training and exam
- Tea and coffee
- Free (on street) parking
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE LRC COURSE:
LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE RATIOS:
We will run this course with a maximum of six students per Instructor, however courses can run with as few as 3 students.
BOOKING THE LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE LRC COURSE:
If the dates below do not suit you we can set up a bespoke 1:1, 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you.