WHO REQUIRES THE LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC)?
- Skippers and crew of Yachts (under 24m) operating beyond VHF range (Sea Area A2, A3 and A4)
- Blue water sailors
- Trans Ocean sailors
- Oyster World Rally sailors
- ARC & World ARC sailors
- Delivery Skippers
- Commercial Yachtmaster Offshore COC holders operating in Cat 1 waters (60-150 miles from a safe haven)
- Commercial Yachtmaster Ocean COC holders operating in Cat 0 waters (beyond 150 miles from safe haven)
- Workboat (under 24m) skippers/crew operating on vessels beyond VHF range (Area A2, A3 and A4)
- Medics/ Radio operators onboard some offshore rigs
- Crew of RNLI All Weather Lifeboats
LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC) OVERVIEW:
The course and exam will build upon the basic skills land knowledge learnt on the RYA Short Range Certificate and will introduce Medium Frequency and High Frequency (MF&HF) marine radios. The MF/HF set is often referred to as Single Sideband (SSB). This will allow the Operator to use marine radio offshore, when beyond the limits of VHF radio. The certificate is internationally recognised.
HOW LONG IS THE LONG RANGE RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC) COURSE?
- 4 Days, including exam
WHAT ARE THE LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC) PRE REQUISITES?
- Hold the RYA SRC Short Range Certificate (Recommended)
- Learn the phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie etc.)
- Learn the information we send out before the course
- While under 16s can take the course, you must be 16 or over to take the exam and be issued the AMERC Certificate of Competence
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC) COURSE?
The course will provide a refresher on VHF and voice procedures whilst devoting considerable time to operating in sea areas A2, A3 and A4 (MF and HF SSB). Our Instructor will prepare you for the exam which takes place on the final day.
There are three components to the exam;
- Written Paper – Radio Procedures & Regulations
- Practical Exercise – Voice and logging procedures during distress communications
- Practical Exam – Demonstrate use of the equipment
WHAT IS INCLUDED ON THE LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC) COURSE?
- Use of our VHF / DSC simulators (Icom, Simrad, Silva, Sailor)
- Use of our MF/HF DSC Simulator (Icom, Sailor)
- Use of our live Navtex sets (Nasa, ICS)
- 4 days of training and exam
- GMDSS Handbook
- Tea and coffee
- Free parking
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED ON THE LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE (LRC) COURSE?
WHAT RATIO IS THE GMDSS LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE (GOC) TAUGHT AT:
AMERC and the MCA set a maximum ratio of 12 candidates to 1 instructor. We smash that by choosing to limit our courses to 8 students, we will even run the course with as few as 3 students, (or even 1:1 and 2:1 for bespoke courses). We also smash the minimum kit requirements. We are unaware of any other MCA centre in the world that provides as much live GMDSS equipment for students to practice on. We do not believe in you waiting around for your turn, we will ensure your time with us is well spent. By providing the best Instructors and the best kit, we maintain the best pass rate.
BOOKING THE LONG RANGE CERTIFICATE LRC COURSE:
If the dates below do not suit you we can set up a bespoke 1:1, 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you.