WHO NEEDS A GMDSS ROC RESTRICTED OPERATOR CERTIFICATE?
Officers and Masters on the following vessels operating in Sea Area A1 (up-to about 35 miles from a coast station)
- Yachts, workboats and fishing vessels (over 24m)
- Cargo ships (over 300 tonne)
- All passenger vessels
- Master 200 (code vessel, limited area) candidates
- Master of hovercrafts COC (less than 500 tonnes, near coastal) candidates
- OOW (less than 500 tonnes, near coastal) candidates
- Master (less than 500 tonnes, near coastal) candidates
- Master (less than 3000 tonnes, domestic voyages only) candidates
- Some fishing COC candidates
- Local Pilots
- Harbour Masters, VTS radio operators
- Wind farm and workboat operators in Sea Area A1
- Radio Operators/ Medics on board static rigs in sea Area A1
Those seafarers operating on SOLAS ships beyond Sea Area A1 (i.e. operating more than about 35NM from a coast radio station) will require the GMDSS STCW GOC General Operator Certificate.
HOW LONG IS THE GMDSS RESTRICTED OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (ROC) COURSE?
- 3 Days, which includes the exam on day 3. The ROC course typically runs Monday to Wednesday or Friday to Sunday.
WHERE IS THE GMDSS RESTRICTED OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (ROC) COURSE RUN?
- Chieftain Training, Woolston, Southampton, SO19 7HS
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES FOR THE GMDSS RESTRICTED OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (ROC) ?
- Candidates must be fluent in the English language
- Minimum age 18
- Learn the Phonetic Alphabet
- Bring 4 passport photos
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE GMDSS RESTRICTED OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (ROC) COURSE?
The course will cover all aspects of GMDSS for Sea Area A1and in particular prepares you for the exam on day 3. Content includes
- Safety of life at sea (SOLAS)
- General radio regulations
- Pro words and phrases
- Distress, Urgency and safety working
- Battery charging
- Fuse testing
- Class A Marine VHF and DSC
- Voice procedures
The exam has three components;
- Written Paper – Radio Procedures and Regulations
- Voice Exercise – Simulated Distress Communications
- Practical Exam – Equipment Performance Test
You will have plenty of opportunity during the three days to practice the various components of the exam.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE GMDSS RESTRICTED OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (ROC) COURSE?
- Use of our Class A VHF Radios
- Use of our Transas 5000 GMDSS simulators
- Use of our live Navtex sets
- 3 days of training (including the exam)
- Course Notes
- Tea and Coffee
- Free (on street) parking
- ROC Course Completion Certificate
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE ROC COURSE?
The ROC certificate can be STCW endorsed by the MCA for those who require a Certificate of Competence to operate radio equipment onboard GMDSS compliant/compulsorily equipped vessels operating in GMDSS Sea areas (A1 – A4). This is done by completing the necessary form on the last day of your course.
WHAT IS THE RATIO FOR THE GMDSS RESTRICTED OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (ROC) COURSE?
The MNTB and MCA will allow us to run with up-to twelve students on this course, but we impose our own maximum of eight, (however courses can run with as few as three students). We have multiple radio sets for you to use in the classroom.