WHO IS THE GMDSS GOC (GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE) FOR?
The GOC is required by officers on yachts, workboats and fishing vessels over 24m, cargo ships over 300 tonnes and passenger vessels of any size. More specifically;
- Officers and Masters on all SOLAS (foreign going) vessels over 24m
- Master 200 (code vessel, unlimited area) candidates
- OOW 3000 and/or Chief Mate (yacht) candidates
- OOW and/or Chief Mate candidates
- Master 500 (workboat) candidates
- Some fishing COC candidates
- Radio Operators/Medics on board offshore “jack up” rigs
- Royal Navy Officers
GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) OVERVIEW:
The STCW GOC is the highest level marine radio qualification within the GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress & Safety System). The certificate complies with the STCW code. GOC Certificate of Competence holders can operate any marine radio equipment on any vessel anywhere on the planet.
HOW LONG DOES THE GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) COURSE TAKE?
- 8 days including exam (Monday-Monday). Usually candidates will take their exam on day 8. Occasionally some candidates may take their exam on day 9.
WHAT ARE THE GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) PRE REQUISITES?
- Candidates must be fluent in the English language
- Minimum age 18
- Have learnt the Phonetic Alphabet before your course
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) COURSE?
The course content includes all aspects of GMDSS and will prepare you for the final exam. The exam has three components
- Written Paper – Radio Procedures and Regulations
- Voice Exercise – Simulated Distress Communications
- Practical Exam – Use of GMDSS Equipment
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) COURSE?
- Use of our Class A VHF, MF, HF Radios
- Use of our Transas 5000 GMDSS simulators
- Use of our live Navtex sets and other simulators
- 7.5 days of training and 0.5 day exam
- Course Notes
- Free Tea and Coffee
- Free (on street) parking
- GOC Course Completion Certificate
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE GOC COURSE?
The GOC certificate can be STCW endorsed by the MCA for those who require a Certificate of Competence to operate radio equipment onboard “GMDSS compliant” / “GMDSS compulsory fit” vessels operating in GMDSS Sea areas (A1 – A4). This is done by completing the necessary form on the last day of your course.
WHAT RATIO IS THE GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) COURSE TAUGHT TO:
AMERC, the MNTB and MCA set a maximum a ratio of 12 candidates to 1 instructor. We improve on that by limiting our courses to a maximum of 8 students, however we run the course with as few as 3 students, (or even 1:1 and 2:1 for bespoke courses).
AMERC, the MNTB and MCA insist that’s centres catering for up to eight students have at least one SSB, one Class A VHF, one Sat-C , one Fleet Broadband and one Navtex for use throughout their course. We smash those equipment ratios. See below to view the range of GMDSS equipment in our training room.
CHIEFTAIN TRAINING GMDSS TRAINING EQUIPMENT:
Our GMDSS suite relies on our 12 primary live sets which are all, Icom (Class A and D VHF and Class A MF/HF). While we are fans of ICOM we recognise that not everyone is equipped with this brand so our GMDSS suite is also equipped with a selection of Simrad, Sailor, Silva, ICS, Lokata, Nasa, McMurdo, and Jotron equipment.
Number of sets
|SRC Course||LRC Course||ROC Course||GOC Course|
SSB (HF & MF)
|Icom GM800 SSB (MF & HF)||Live||2||✅||✅|
|Sailor 6301 SSB (MF & HF)||PC Simulator||4||✅|
CLASS A VHF
|Icom GM600 Class A VHF||Live||2||✅||✅||✅|
|Sailor 6222 Class A VHF||PC Simulator||8||✅||✅|
CLASS D VHF
|Icom M423GE VHF||Live||8||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Simrad RD68 VHF||Live||1||✅||✅|
|Silva S10 VHF||Live||2||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Standard Horizon VHF||PC Simulator||4||✅|
|Sailor 250 Inmarsat Fleet Broadband||PC Simulator||4||✅|
|Sailor 6110 Inmarsat Sat-C||PC Simulator||4||✅|
|ICS Nav 4 Navtex||Live||1||✅||✅|
|ICS Nav 5 Navtex||Live||3||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Lokata 1 Navtex||Live||1||✅||✅||✅|
|Sailor 6004 Navtex||PC Simulator||4||✅|
|Nasa Navtex Target Pro||Live||3||✅||✅|
|McMurdo 406||PC Simulator||4||✅|
|McMurdo S4 Radar SART||PC Simulator||4||✅|
|Jotron AIS SART||PC Simulator||4||✅|
HAND HELD VHFs
|H/H GMDSS VHF||Dummy||5||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Jotron Tron Air HHVHF||PC Simulator||4||✅|
|Sailor SP3920 HH VHF||PC Simulator||4||✅|