WHO REQUIRES THE GMDSS GOC (GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE)?
- Officers and Masters on all SOLAS (foreign going) vessels over 24m
- Master 200 (code vessel, unlimited area) candidates
- OOW 3000 and/or Chief Mate (yacht) candidates
- OOW and/or Chief Mate candidates
- Master 500 (workboat) candidates
- Some fishing COC candidates
- Radio Operators/Medics on board offshore “jack up” rigs
- Royal Navy Officers
GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) OVERVIEW:
The STCW GOC is the highest level marine radio qualification within the GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress & Safety System). The certificate complies with the STCW code. GOC Certificate of Competence holders can operate any marine radio equipment on any vessel anywhere on the planet.
GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) COURSE DURATION:
- 8 days including exam (Monday-Monday). Usually candidates will take their exam on day 8. Occasionally some candidates may take their exam on day 9.
GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) PRE REQUISITES:
- Candidates must be fluent in the English language
- Minimum age 18
- Have learnt the Phonetic Alphabet before your course
GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) COURSE CONTENT:
The course will cover all aspects of GMDSS and in particular prepare you for the final exam. The exam has three components
- Written Paper – Radio Procedures and Regulations
- Voice Exercise – Simulated Distress Communications
- Practical Exam – Use of GMDSS Equipment
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) COURSE:
- Use of our Class A VHF, MF, HF Radios
- Use of our Transas 5000 GMDSS simulators
- Use of our live Navtex sets
- 7.5 days of training and 0.5 day exam
- Course Notes
- Tea and Coffee
- Free (on street) parking
- GOC Course Completion Certificate
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE GOC COURSE:
The GOC certificate can be STCW endorsed by the MCA for those who require a Certificate of Competence to operate radio equipment onboard GMDSS compliant/compulsorily equipped vessels operating in GMDSS Sea areas (A1 – A4). This is done by completing the necessary form on the last day of your course.
GMDSS GENERAL OPERATOR CERTIFICATE (GOC) COURSE RATIOS:
We will run this course with a maximum of eight students per Instructor however courses can run with as few as 3 students. Bespoke 1:1 and 2:1 courses can be arranged at additional cost.