WHAT IS THE AIM OF THE RYA FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
To equip new instructors with the skills and knowledge required to enable them to teach the RYA First Aid Course at RYA centres in the UK and overseas.
HOW LONG IS THE RYA FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
One day (plus some pre course work)
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES TO BECOME A RYA FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR?
- Minimum age 18
- STCW Medical First Aid (last 5 years) or First Aid at Work (last 3 years) or registered UK Doctor, Nurse or Paramedic. (If you are outside the UK and cannot access these certificates, other equivalent qualifications may be considered on a case by case basis)*
- RYA Marine Radio SRC certificate or higher GMDSS radio operator’s certificate
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Cert of Competence or an RYA Instructor certificate in a practical discipline
- RYA Sea Survival Certificate (Recommended)
- RYA First Aid Certificate, or have observed a course being delivered in the last 5 years
- RYA Teaching in the Classroom (TiC) or IMO Train the Trainer or Level 3 Award in Education & Training (or higher level UK Teaching Award)
- RYA Membership
- An appreciation of the restrictions to first aid in the marine environment
- Recent, relevant boating experience
- Awareness of current first aid practices shown in the latest edition of the RYA First Aid manual
* Exemption for medical professionals: Doctors and nurses with recent appropriate acute experience, and paramedics are exempt from the need for a first aid qualification, but attending an RYA First Aid course before coming on the Instructor’s course is highly recommended. Once retired and no longer practising, a First Aid at Work or STCW Medical First Aid Certificate will be required after three years.
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE RYA FIRST INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
Prior to the First Aid Instructor Course you will be directed to Pre Course reading, a Pre Course Quiz and have the opportunity to pre prepare two lessons.
During the course you will have the opportunity to demonstrate that you are ready to deliver the RYA First Aid Course. This will include delivery of 2 sessions, engaging with feedback for other sessions, answering knowledge questions and demonstrating CPR.
WHAT IS INCLUDED ON THE RYA FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
- Pre course reading
- 1 days of training/assessmment
- Use of our resources
- RYA First Aid Manual
- Tea & Coffee
- Free (on street) parking
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED ON THE RYA FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR COURSE?
WHAT RATIO IS THE RYA FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR COURSE TAUGHT TO?
RYA First Aid Instructor training takes place with upto 6 candidates per Trainer. The RYA does not sanction 1:1 Instructor courses.
HOW LONG IS THE RYA FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE VALID FOR?
5 years, but you must maintain your own HSE First Aid at Work, STCW Medical First Aid or Doctor/nurse or paramedic registration. After 5 years an Instructor revalidation is required.
BOOKING THE RYA FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR COURSE:
Bookings for the Instructor Course are taken and managed by the RYA at RYA Instructor Courses and Revalidations. When ever we host a RYA First Aid Instructor Course we try to schedule the HSE First Aid at Work and the CT First Aid Instructor course to enable you to complete all three courses in one week