MCA HUMAN ELEMENT LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT OPERATIONAL (HELM O) OVERVIEW:
Seafarers applying for an MCA Certificate of Competence require a HELM certificate. We should start by staying this has nothing to do with “helming” a vessel. Human Element of Leadership and Management is divided into two levels. The “Operational” (HELM O) Course is three days and described below. The “Management” (HELM M) Course is a further 5 days and not offered here.
The HELM O certificate is required by anyone applying for any of the following COCs (Certificate of Competence)
- Master (Code Vessel) 200 & OOW (Yacht) 500 limited
- Master (Code Vessel) 200 & OOW (Yacht) 500 unlimited
- Master (Workboat) 500
- OOW (Yacht) 3000
- Chief Engineer Y3 (Yacht) 500
- Chief Engineer Y4 (Yacht) 200
- OOW (Unlimited)
- OOW (Tug) 30 Mile or Near coastal
- Fishing Class 1
- EOOW (Merchant)
MCA HELM OPERATIONAL COURSE DURATION:
MCA HELM OPERATIONAL COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
- Minimum age 18
- Seatime as required by the MCA for your chosen route/pathway (see relevant M notice). For cadets this typically means at last one sea phase. For yachts this typically means Yachtmaster Offshore CoC.
MCA HELM OPERATIONAL CONTENT:
A hands-on practical training approach is taken to deliver this course in which lectures, videos, group discussion and scenario based exercises combine with student presentations that form a compulsory part of training and final assessment. During the course you will address:
- Situation and risk assessment: understand the influence of a situation and risk assessment in the principles and practice of decision making at an operational level.
- Situational awareness: how to acquire and maintain situational awareness and accidents and increasing safety margins.
- Communication: how to recognise and apply best practice in communication and be aware of barriers to communication and how these may adversely affect situational awareness.
- Shipboard training: to understand the aim of shipboard training, the principles of learning and methods of developing human potential.
- Culture: how to recognise and respond to cultural issues including cultural awareness and bias including national, organisational, departmental and personal cultural approaches.
- Team–working: to recognise team working models and conflict management style.
- Leadership and management: to recognise and demonstrate effective leadership behaviours.
- Workload management: understand the concept of task and workload management and be able to apply it. Recognising fatigue and stress in yourself and others and developing strategies for dealing with them.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE MCA HELM O COURSE:
- Three days of shorebased training
- HELM (Operational) Certificate
- Tea & Coffee
- Lunch (sanwiches)
- Free Parking
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN MCA HELM O COURSE:
MCA HELM OPERATIONAL COURSE CONDITIONS:
This course is run off site at, Hythe near Southampton. Training is provided by an external MCA Approved Training Provider.