RYA ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE AIMS:
To provide a basic awareness and understanding of navigation and safety. This course is for dinghy sailors, keelboaters, powerboaters, jet ski riders and divers.
RYA ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE DURATION:
This course can be taken in the classroom or online;
- Two days in our classroom OR
- Six to nine hours online, in your own time
RYA ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
There are no pre-requisites for this course, although it is most suitable for those who have been out in a boat at least a few times as guest or crew. The course is aimed equally at powerboaters, sailors, coastal rowers and divers.
RYA ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE CONTENT:
The course provides an introduction to charts & publications, safety, buoyage, tidal awareness, basic navigation, pilotage, rules of the road, electronic navigation, anchoring, weather forecasts and passage planning.
RYA ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE PROGRAMME:
Essential Navigation Classroom Version
2 days of 0930-1730
Essential Navigation Online Version
Once you have booked, we will email you a web link and your password to the RYA Interactive Chieftain Training E-Learning Site. We will also post you the necessary training charts and instruments. You can begin the course straight away, it will take about six hours (in total) and can be done at times that suit you. You have up to six months to complete the course.
If you need help, our Instructors are available by email to answer questions and guide you through. This support service is included free of charge. On successful completition of the course we will post you your RYA certificate.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR RYA ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE:
- 2 RYA Training Charts
- RYA Essential Navigation Book
- Handy Plotter
- RYA Essential Navigation & Seamanship Certificate
- Classroom Version
- Free on street parking
- Online Version
- Full access to the Interactive E-Learning Site
- Access to the online RYA Training Almanac
- Unlimited email support
- Postage of the RYA pack and the certificate (to UK mainland).
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN OUR RYA ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE:
- Overseas postage- (click for charges)
MINIMUM COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ONLINE RYA ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE:
- Mac with Mac OS X 10.6 or later or
- PC with Windows XP or later
- not iPad or Android tablets
- 1.0GHz Intel processor or better
- 128MB free RAM
- 100MB free hard disk space
- 32 bit colour graphics card
- 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- Sound card and speakers or headphones
Minimum web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 6 (in IE10 you may need to view the course in Compatibility Mode) or
- Safari 4 or
- Chrome or
- Firefox 3
- Adobe Flash Player
- A connection speed of 512kbps is required.
BOOKING THE ONLINE ESSENTIAL NAVIGATION COURSE:
If two or three of you enrol with the same postal address we are able to apply a small discount.