WHAT IS THE IMO 6.09 TRAIN THE TRAINER MODEL COURSE?
IMO Train the Trainer 6.09 will qualify you to teach most STCW and MCA Courses. Upon successful completion you will be able to;
- Instruct STCW Courses (assuming relevant subject knowledge/experience)
- Instruct MCA Courses (assuming relevant subject knowledge/experience)
- Instruct CT HSE First Aid Courses (assuming First Aid at Work or higher)
- Progress to one of the RYA Shorebased Instructor Courses, (this is a substitute to RYA TIC (Teaching in the Classroom)
The course is aimed at two groups of professionals;
- Those writing MCA/STCW course programmes for MCA approval
- Those who want to teach MCA, STCW, RYA shorebased or HSE First aid Courses
IMO Model courses are explained at IMO Model Courses
WHERE IS THE IMO 6.09 TRAIN THE TRAINER MODEL COURSE RUN?
- Chieftain Training, Woolston, Southampton
- Chieftain Training, Helensburgh, Scotland
- Bespoke course at your location (on demand)
HOW LONG DOES THE IMO 6.09 TRAIN THE TRAINER MODEL COURSE TAKE?
This is a 5 day (0915-1615) course with some pre course preparation and some home work each evening. If there are a low number of candidates then we will shorten the course (by up to 1 day).
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES FOR THE IMO 6.09 TRAIN THE TRAINER MODEL COURSE?
- Minimum age 18
- Basic numeracy and written/spoken English
- Familiar with common office software (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Hold at least two STCW certificates
- Have specialist knowledge in at least one of the following;
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE IMO 6.09 MODEL COURSE?
- STCW Convention & Code requirements for competence-based training
- Planning an effective learning environment
- Training aids
- Use teaching activities effectively
- Producing a subject related lesson plan
- Evaluating teaching and learning
- Advanced Powerpoint design/use
- Course design
During the course you will deliver multiple short talks, lead a discussion and have plenty opportunities to practice giving feedback to others.
- 5 days of training and assessment (4 days when there are less candidates)
- IMO 6.09 Certificate (required by MCA and STCW Instructors)
- CT HSE First Aid Instructor Certificate (if you hold a relevant First Aid certificate)
- Free (on street) Parking
- Tea & Coffee
The IMO recommend a maximum ratio of Candidates to Instructor of 24:1. We don’t believe a centre can train effective Instructors at that ratio so we choose to limit our course to 8:1 and for several parts of the course we improve on that. We run the IMO 6.09 Train the Trainer Model Course with anything from 2 to 8 candidates.
HOW LONG IS THE IMO 6.09 TRAIN THE TRAINER MODEL COURSE CERTIFICATE VALID FOR?
The IMO 6.09 Train the Trainer Certificate does not expire, however Instructors and their Training Centres should ensure they remain in date with Continual Professional Development (CPD).
BOOKING THE IMO 6.09 TRAIN THE TRAINER MODEL COURSE
If the dates below do not suit you, we can set up a bespoke 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you.