WHO REQUIRES STCW PROFICIENCY IN MEDICAL CARE?
- Commercial Yachtmaster Offshore Skippers operating between 60 and 150 NM offshore (Area 1)
- Commercial Yachtmaster Ocean Skippers operating beyond 150 miles offshore (Area 0)
- STCW Master 500 (yacht/workboat) candidates
- STCW Master 3000 (yacht) candidates
- At least 1 person onboard Category 0 World Sailing race yachts
- At least 1 person onboard Oyster World Rally Yachts
- Single handed Round the World Race Skippers
- Anyone responsible for Cat. A Medical supplies on board a commercial vessel
- Master of any vessel over 200 tonnes
- Blue waters sailors requiring Medical Care knowledge as they spend substantial time sea
This Advanced Course follows on from STCW Medical First Aid (MFA) and the two are generally run back to back.
HOW LONG DOES THE STCW PROFICIENCY IN MEDICAL CARE COURSE TAKE?
Five days (35 hours contact time), with a slightly earlier finish on the final day
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES FOR STCW PROFICIENCY IN MEDICAL CARE?
- STCW Medical First Aid
- Minimum age 16
STCW PROFICIENCY IN MEDICAL CARE CONDITIONS:
Training and certification is provided at our centre by a third party partner using their accreditation.
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE STCW PROFICIENCY IN MEDICAL CARE COURSE?
This course goes well beyond First Aid and is intended for those who will have to provide extended care to an ill or injured crew member or passenger. the course includes;
- Coordinating the provisions of medical care on board
- Casualty – Primary and secondary survey
- Advanced life support with use of oxygen and AED
- Signs and symptoms and first aid of trauma and medical problems
- Patient Treatment inc Observations, administration of medications
- Injections, IV fluids
- Infectious diseases
- Log keeping – Medical report scenarios and treatment
- Care of the dying
- Informing Port Authorities
- Casualty handling and evacuation
- Use of Ship Captains Medical Guide
- Catogory A Medical Stores
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE STCW PROFICIENCY IN MEDICAL FIRST CARE COURSE?
- 5 Days of Training and Assessment
- STCW MCA Proficiency in Medical Care Certificate
- Free Parking
- Tea & Coffee
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE STCW PROFICIENCY IN MEDICAL CARE COURSE?
- Meals and Accommodation