WHAT ARE THE AIMS OF THE RYA FIRST AID COURSE?
In a medical emergency, a little First Aid knowledge can save lives, especially when you are in a remote location or at sea. The RYA First Aid Course is unique, as it is aimed at water sports enthusiasts and small craft operators, it takes a realistic look at the levels of First Aid that can be performed in a yacht, powerboat, dinghy or ocean rowing boat. Our instructors fully appreciate the difference between conventional First Aid and RYA First Aid (where the ambulance may not be just ten minutes away). The course fulfils the First Aid Training requirements for
- Yachtmaster COC holders operating up to 60 miles from a safe haven
- Advanced Powerboat COC holders
- World Sailing offshore race crew (cat 1, 2 events)
- Most ocean rowing events
- Lifeboat Helms operating under the MCA Rescue Boat Code
- RYA Instructors (any discipline)
- Watersports Instructors (most disciplines)
WHERE IS THE RYA FIRST AID COURSE RUN?
- Chieftain Training, Woolston, Southampton (weekly)
- Chieftain Training, Helensburgh, Scotland (monthly)
- Bespoke course at your location (on demand)
HOW LONG DOES THE RYA FIRST AID COURSE TAKE?
WHAT ARE THE PRE REQUISITES FOR RYA FIRST AID?
Minimum age 13
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE RYA FIRST AID COURSE?
First Aid and resuscitation techniques for yachtsmen and small craft users, including;
- CPR and AED for adults and children
- Treatment for drowning
- Treatment and causes of shock
- Treatment for bleeding & catastrophic bleeding
- Recognition & treatment off angina & heart attack
- Recognition & treatment of head injuries
- Treatment of hypothermia
- Cold water shock
- Treatment and types of burns
- Prevention & treatment of seasickness
- First Aid & Category Cat C Kits
- Medevac by helicopter
- Medical advice by radio
WHAT IS INCLUDED ON THE RYA FIRST AID COURSE?
- Day of First Aid training
- Use of all the necessary kit
- RYA First Aid Handbook
- RYA First Aid Certificate (including Cat C. endorsement)
- Free (on street) Parking
- Tea & Coffee
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED ON THE RYA FIRST AID COURSE?
RYA FIRST AID COURSE OPTIONAL EXTRAS:
- Dual certify and also receive the HSE Emergency First Aid at Work Certificate (digital PDF by email after the course)
- Dual certify and also receive the STCW Elementary First Aid Certificate (printed certificate)
- Tri certify and receive the RYA, HSE and STCW certificates
You can select single, dual or tri certification when booking.
WHAT RATIO IS RYA FIRST AID COURSE TAUGHT TO?
We run RYA First Aid with anything from 2 to 12 students. We are happy to arrange 1:1 on request.
The RYA provide all of their centres with guidance on the ratio of training equipment to students. While their ratios work we pride ourselves on surpassing the minimum equipment ratio many times over. We don’t believe in just “packing you in”. On all our courses you spend more time participating and less time watching others. We do this by providing plenty of equipment;
RYA Guidance for all Training Centres
Chieftain Training RYA First Aid Course
Resus mannequins for practical sessions
|The recommended ratio of resuscitation mannequins to students is 1:4||Chieftain operates at 1:1. i.e. you will not share a mannequin on our First Aid courses.|
Pocket Masks for practical sessions
|A pocket mask per 12 students for a demonstration||Chieftain provides a pocket mask per student|
AED Training Units for practical sessions
|A training AED per course (12 students) is recommended||Chieftain provides an AED trainer per pair of students.|
HOW LONG IS THE RYA FIRST AID CERTIFICATE VALID FOR?
The RYA First Aid certificate is valid for 3 years. To revalidate / refresh / re-qualify you simply complete the one-day course again.
BOOKING THE RYA FIRST AID COURSE:
If the dates below do not suit you, we can set up a bespoke 1:1, 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you.