RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE (SRC) DETAILS:
The RYA SRC (VHF Radio) course can be taken either in the classroom or online. The materials covered within the course will be the same, so you can simply pick the method of study that suits you best. For either course, there is a RYA SRC Exam at the end of the course (which can be taken at our centre). If you book the classroom course the exam is rune back to back the same day, if you book the online course then we will arrange an exam when you are ready.
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE AIMS:
This radio operator qualification authorises the holder to operate a short range marine VHF radio with or without Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on board any British vessel that is voluntarily fitted with radio equipment. Essentially, it’s the VHF licence for leisure users, (and it is also used onboard commercial craft). This qualification is a legal requirement for marine VHF users throughout the world. It is also useful to know what to do if you ever require assistance.
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE DURATION:
- Classroom Option – One day: 0930 to 1700 plus a 40-90 minute exam at the end of the day
- Online Option- The course takes 4 – 8 hours to complete online. Having completed the online course, you will then need to take the SRC exam. This cannot be completed online and must be carried out at an RYA Centre.
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE PRE REQUISITES:
- Read the RYA SRC handbook before the course, this book is included in your course fee and we will give you the choice of recieving it in digital or printed format
- Learn the phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie etc.) This is contained within the above book/ebook
- While under 16s can take the course, you must be 16 or over to take the exam and be issued the actual certificate
- If you choose to do the online course you must have access to a PC, Mac or iPad
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE CONTENT:
The course concentrates on use of VHF Radio under the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). In addition to VHF procedures, it also covers Digital Selective Calling (DSC), Navtex, EPIRBs and SARTs. This certificate replaced the previous VHF Restricted Licence and is the qualification required to operate a marine VHF Radio.
The classroom course is taught using our range of 15 live DSC and Navtex sets. You can expect to practice on Simrad, Icom or Silva radios and a Nasa Navtex set during your course. We believe in making the “theory” as practical as possible.
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE CLASSROOM COURSE PROGRAMME:
The course is run from 0930 to 1700 with a short break for lunch. Your instructor is an RYA SRC Assessor; however a second SRC Assessor will run a short RYA SRC exam at 1700. The exam takes 40-90 minutes.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE:
SRC COURSE – CLASSOOM BASED OPTION
- Use of our Simrad, Icom, Silva or Standard Horizon live VHF / DSC simulators
- Use of our NASA Navtex live simulator
- A full day of training
- RYA VHF Handbook (see below)
- Free (on steet) parking
SRC COURSE – ONLINE COURSE OPTION
- Personal login and access to the RYA Interactive site
- RYA VHF Handbook (see below)
- Unlimited email support from our experienced Instructors
SRC COURSE MATERIALS FOR BOTH OPTIONS
Regardless of whether you enroll on the classroom or the online version of the course you will receive a copy of the RYA VHF Handbook (by Tim Bartlett) E-Book included in your course fee to allow some pre reading. We send you a code to download this content as an E-book. The E-book benefits from the printed version as it has various animations, video and interactive tools and you will receive the E-book code by email much quicker than waiting for the printed version in the post. In order to read the E-book you will require a compatible device. You can download the free RYA book App now and check that it works on your device. http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/Pages/eBook-Devices.aspx
If you would prefer a printed book, you must tell us at the time of booking and pay for postage & packing, (£7 within the UK, £14 for rest of Europe, £21 for rest of world).
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE SRC COURSE:
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE CLASSROOM COURSE RATIOS:
The course is run from 0930 to 1700 with a short break for lunch. Your instructor is an RYA SRC Assessor; a second SRC Assessor will run a short RYA SRC exam at 1700. The exam takes 30-90 minutes.
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE RATIO:
The RYA require centres to provide one training radio for every three students. While we can see that works OK, we are equipped to provide every student with their own VHF/DSC radio for the course, so you get more “hands on” time. Some groups however benefit from working in pairs. The class size can be as low as 2 students and can be upto 12.
1 MINUTE 45 SECOND TASTER OF THE ONLINE VERSION:
BOOKING THE RYA SHORT RAGE CERTIFICATE SRC COURSE:
If the dates below do not suit you we can set up a bespoke 1:1, 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you.
If you would like to book the online version of this course, please change the drop down “Course” menu below to “RYA Short Range Certificate SRC (online).”