RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM OVERVIEW:
The Short Range Certificate is the marine VHF licence issued to someone who has completed both SRC training and assessment as being competent to use a marine radio.
Anyone who would like a SRC (Short Range Certificate) has to undergo a short exam following their training. Even if you have completed the RYA SRC course online, you will still need to attend a RYA centre in order to sit the exam. The exam consists of two sections: a written paper and practical use of a marine VHF (Very High Frequency) Radio / DSC (Digital Selective Calling) set.
At Chieftain Training, you can pre-book an SRC exam seven days a week, at a time that suits you. If you complete a classroom based SRC course with us, the SRC exam will automatically follow at the end of the course. However, if you completed your training course online or with another training provider, we will arrange an exam at a time that suits you.
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM DURATION:
The SRC exam will typically take between 30 and 60 minutes to complete. We can book you in for an exam at any time of the week, just call one of our course advisors to find a time that suits you!
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM PRE REQUISITES:
- Candidates should be a minimum of age 16
- Candidates must hold one of the following before attending an exam:
* Holders of either of these certificates are advised to attend the full Short Range Certificate Course, although, as an alternative, they may complete relevant self study and simply attend an exam.
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM COURSE CONTENT:
The written exam paper consists of a combination of multiple choice questions and some longer answers; it can cover any part of the Short Range Certificate Course. The practical assessment will include some of the following subject matter:
- Define a distress situation
- Initiate a DSC (Digital Selective Calling) distress alert, with position and time input manaully or automatically
- Send a Mayday message by voice
- Respond appropriately to a DSC distress alert and to a Mayday message, including relay of a distress message
- Know how to deploy an EPIRB and SART
- Know the procedure for cancellation of a distress message sent in error
- Identify a situation in which an urgency message is appropriate
- Initiate a DSC Urgency alert
- Send an Urgency message by voice
- Identify a situation in which a safety message is appropriate
- Initiate a DSC Safety alert
- Send a Safety message by voice
- Receive Maritime Safety Information by NAVTEX
- Initiate a DSC routine call
- Establish communication and exchange messages with another station by voice, using appropriate channels
- Test the VHF set by means of an appropriate test call
- Enter a DSC group and individual MMSI
- Maintain an appropriate listening watch on DSC and voice channels
- Use the international phonetic alphabet
RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM PROGRAMME:
The time allocated for your exam will include the following:
- Admin (check form and passport photo)
- Familiarisation with our VHF/DSC sets
- SRC Written Paper
- SRC Practical Assessment
You will normally be told the exam result immediately; your paperwork will subsequently be posted to the RYA, who will issue your certificate by post.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM:
The exam fee includes the following:
- Written SRC Exam
- Practical SRC Assessment
- Use of our training VHF/DSC simulators
- Posting of paperwork
- Issue of the Short Range Certificate by the RYA
- Free (on street) Parking
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM:
- SRC Training, although this can be provided separately, if necessary
- Passport Photo
BOOKING THE RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM:
If you book a one-day SRC course with us then we will automatically arrange the SRC exam for the end of the day so there is no need to book this exam. If you need an exam at any other time, call or email us to arrange a convenient time slot.
WHY CHOOSE CHIEFTAIN TRAINING FOR THE RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE EXAM?
No other training centre offers you the ability to book an exam slot 7 days a week at a time that suits you.