AIMS OF THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE:
To provide owners and skippers of petrol outboard engine powered craft with;
- Owner servicing and maintenance techniques
- Basic fault-finding techniques
This is one of our home-grown engineering courses, written and developed by our Instructors over the last 17 years. The course covers both 2-stroke and 4-stroke petrol outboard engine and is where possible hands on. We do not cover PC based diagnostics software.
WHERE IS THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE RUN?
HOW LONG IS THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE?
One day – 0930 to 1630
ARE THERE ANY PRE REQUISITES FOR THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE?
Some practical experience of power-boating and a basic knowledge of boats is useful.
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE?
The course is a mixture of classroom sessions and workshop sessions. (with much more practical than theory). During the practical sessions you will work on our training engines and cover;
- The outboard engine (2 stroke and 4 stroke)
- Fault finding
- Routine cleaning and greasing
- Fuel system
- Propeller changing and care
- Changing gearbox oil
- Lowering the leg, water pump inspection & changing
- Fresh water flushing
- Open forum
WHICH OUTBOARD ENGINES ARE USED ON THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE?
There are currently about 200 different new petrol outboards on the market in the UK. If you consider overseas models and discontinued models you will realise that there are literally thousands of different outboards out there. It is therefore unlikely that your exact engine is in our classroom. Be mindful, the course is not aimed at a specific engine, we have selected a range of outboard engines that cover many of the common features.
- Evinrude 60HP 2-stroke outboard engine
- Selva 100HP 2-stroke outboard engine
- Selva 80HP 2-stroke engine
- Mariner 5HP 2-stroke outboard engine
- Mercury 4HP 2-stroke outboard engine
- Tohatsu 6HP 4-stroke outboard engine
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE?
- 1 day of training
- Use of our workshop, tools and our training engines
- Chieftain Training Outboard Maintenance Certificate
- Tea & Coffee
- Free (on street) parking
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE?
OUTBOARD MAINTENANCE COURSE RATIOS:
As this is a course we wrote and developed ourselves we can set the ratio at whatever we choose. Before setting it we considered the RYA Diesel and MCA AEC Engines courses which can both be taught with up-to 12 students per Instructor. We decided 12:1 would not allow you enough contact time so we self impose a limitation of 9 students on this course. The class size however is typically 3-5 students and we will run the course with as few as 2 students.