AIMS OF THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE:
To acquaint owners and skippers of petrol outboard engine powered craft with basic fault-finding techniques, fault rectification, owner servicing and maintenance.
OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE OVERVIEW:
This is one of our home-grown courses, written and developed by two of our Instructors over the last 15 years. It is aimed at both 2-stroke and 4-stroke petrol outboard engine users and is, where possible hands on. We do not cover PC based diagnostics software.
OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE DURATION:
One day – 0930 to 1630
OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
None, although some practical experience of power-boating and a basic knowledge of boats is useful.
OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE CONTENT:
- The outboard engine (2 stroke and 4 stroke)
- Fault finding
- Routine cleaning and greasing
- Fuel system
- Propeller changing and care
- Changing gearbox oil
- Lowering the leg, water pump inspection & changing
- Fresh water flushing
- Open forum
OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE PROGRAMME:
The course is a mixture of classroom sessions and workshop sessions. (with more practical than theory). During the practical sessions you will work on our training engines in our classroom.
WHICH OUTBOARD ENGINES ARE USED ON THE OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE?
- Evinrude 60HP 2-stroke outboard engine
- Selva 100HP 2-stroke outboard engine
- Selva 80HP 2-stroke engine
- Mariner 5HP 2-stroke outboard engine
- Mercury 4HP 2-stroke outboard engine
- Tohatsu 6HP 4-stroke outboard engine
* It is unlikely that your exact engine is in our classroom, be mindful however that this course is not aimed at a specific engine and that we have selected a range of outboard engines for our classroom that cover many of the common features.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE:
- 1 day of training
- Use of our tools and our training engines*
- Chieftain Training Outboard Maintenance Certificate
- Tea & Coffee
- Free (on street) parking
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN OUR OUTBOARD ENGINE MAINTENANCE COURSE:
OUTBOARD MAINTENANCE COURSE RATIOS:
As this is a course we wrote and developed ourselves we can set the ratio at whatever we choose. Before setting it we considered the RYA Diesel and MCA AEC Engines courses which can be taught with up-to 12 students per Instructor. We decided 12:1 would not allow you enough contact time so we self impose a limitation of 6 students on this course. The class size however is typically 3-5 students and we will run the course with as few as 2 students.