RYA DIESEL COURSE AIMS:
The RNLI tell us that the most common reason for call-outs is machinery failure. Many of these call outs would be avoided if more yachtsmen (sail and power alike) had a better understanding of how the engine works and how to;
- carry out regular checks,
- carry out routine maintenance and
- perform basic, “get you home” maintenance
RYA DIESEL COURSE DURATION:
1 Day, 0930 to 1630
RYA DIESEL COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
None. No previous mechanical ability or knowledge of engines is required. You will be surprised at just how straightforward most of the checks, fault finding and adjustments are.
RYA DIESEL COURSE CONTENT:
This course teaches you how your diesel engine works, how to keep it healthy by using basic checks and maintenance procedures, and how you might get it started again in the event of a breakdown.
Whether you sail a yacht with an auxiliary diesel engine, are a motor cruising enthusiast or operate a workboat, this course could not just save you money, but one day could save your life. Course topics include:
- The principles of diesel engine operation
- The systems and parts of the engine
- Fault finding
- Rectification of common problems
- Bleeding the fuel system
- Changing the impeller
- Routine maintenance
- Winter lay up procedures
Students have full access to several real marine diesel engines and tools in the training room.
RYA DIESEL COURSE PROGRAMME:
The course is a mixture of theory and practical sessions. During the practical sessions you will work on our training engines.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR RYA DIESEL COURSE:
- Day of shorebased training
- Use of our Yanmar and Volvo Penta engines and tools
- RYA Diesel Course Notes
- RYA Diesel Certificate
- Free (on street) parking
RYA DIESEL COURSE RATIOS:
The RYA requires their centres to have 1 training engine, which can be shared by up-to 6 students and to have one Instructor per 12 students. We smash this requirement on both fronts as we have 4 separate engines and our maximum class size is 10. The class size however is typically 3-6, and we will run the course with only 2 students.
RYA DIESEL COURSE EQUIPMENT:
We have equipped our training room with some of the most common engines you are likely to come across;
- Volvo Penta, 2-cylinder (typical on 20-30 foot sailing yachts)
- Yanmar 36HP, 3-cylinder, 3JH2 (typical on 30-40 foot sailing yachts)
- Volvo Penta 135HP, 6-cylinder, TMD-A(typical on displacement work boats and motor yachts)
- Volvo Penta 200HP, 6 -cylinder , TAMD-B (typical on larger workboats and planing motor yachts)
- Wide range of spare engine parts
- Extensive workshop tool kit
Don’t worry if your engine is not listed above, the skills you learn with us are transferable to any vaguely modern marine diesel engine.
RYA DIESEL COURSE BOOKING:
If the dates below do not suit you we can set up a bespoke 1:1, 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you, either using our training engines or on your own boat.
WHY CHOOSE CHIEFTAIN TRAINING FOR YOUR RYA DIESEL COURSE?
We will run the RYA Diesel course 1:1 or 2:1 on board your boat or as part of a group at our centre. Our training room is well equipped with 4 training engines (Volvo Penta and Yanmar) and all of the necessary tools.