WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL WEBINARS AIMS:
This course normally spans two days in the classroom, however during lockdown we are making it available as three evening webinars. Following lockdown you will then need to attend a half-day pool and flare session with us in Southampton to complete the qualification. The 3 webinars and the price sessions are all included in one price.
This certificate satisfies the training required by World Sailing Offshore Special Regulations (OSR) 6.01 and covers the topics listed in OSR 6.02 for category 0, 1 & 2 races (& cat. 3 if racing double handed). This training is a requirement for many offshore yacht races including the ARC Race, RORC Fastnet, RORC Round Britain and Ireland, RORC Trans Atlantic Race, Sydney Hobart RORC Round Ireland Race and the Lonely Rock Race. This course has previously been known as the RYA/ISAF Offshore Course, the ISAF Offshore Safety Course or the ISAF Offshore Race Crew Course.
WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL COURSE WEBINAR DURATION:
- 3 consecutive evenings 1800-2100 (BST) AND
- 1 practical session (pool and flare sessions), which can be booked after lockdown restrictions have lifted
WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
Basic familiarity with sailing yachts
WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL COURSE CONTENT:
- Distress communications
- PLB, Personal AIS, Personal SART
- Types of life rafts and their contents
- Search and Rescue
- Fire fighting on board a yacht
- Theory of storm sails
- Heavy Weather Survival / Storm tactics
- Search Patter and recovery of people back on board
- Offshore Special Regulations
- Cold Water Shock and Hypothermia
- 2 Hour pool session on life rafts and personal survival techniques
- Live flare firing session
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL LOCKDOWN WEBINARS:
During the three evenings;
- Three Instructor led webinars
- Online assessment
At the practical session (post lockdown);
- Pool session and live flare session
- Loan of a life jacket for the pool session
- RYA Sea Survival Certificate*
- World Sailing/RYA Offshore Personal Survival Certificate*
- Sea Survival Handbook
- Free parking
* The two certificates will both be dated for the date of the pool session so none of your 5-year validity is wasted by lockdown. The Sea Survival certificate can also be used to gain a RYA commercial endorsement.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN OUR WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL LOCKDOWN WEBINARS:
- Meals and accommodation
- Use of wet weather gear (£5 or bring you own)
WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL COURSE RATIO:
Webinar Class size will be from 2 to 16 students. The pool session will have 2 staff for up-to 16 students.
BOOKING THE WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL COURSE:
You can book the whole package below by selecting the date of your webinars. Once lockdown has been lifted we will promptly release dates for the practical session for all those who have attended the webinar course. There will be multiple and sufficient practical session dates to choose from and bookings will be taken on a, “first come first served” basis. There is no additional fee to pay later (unless you want to use our wet weather gear, £5).
You will have 12 months from when UK lockdown is lifted to attend the half day practical session. If you are traveling from overseas, the 12 months will not commence until both your country and the UK have both lifted lockdown restrictions and travel restrictions.
If you have not used a webinar for learning before then the first thing to recognise is that this is not an online course in the traditional sense. You and a small group of fellow students will be able to listen to and see the Instructor in real time as well as ask questions and join discussions. This is the closest we can get to the classroom while observing social distancing and Covid-19 related regulations.
You will need;
- A reasonable broadband connection
- A tablet or computer (a smart phone is too small)
- Built in external microphone to ask questions etc
- Ideally a web cam
- A room where your household will leave you in peace for three hours
WHY CHOOSE CHIEFTAIN TRAINING FOR YOUR WORLD SAILING OFFSHORE SURVIVAL WEBINARS?:
Traditionally this course is run over two days. Recognising that there are sailors with time on their hands who will to get back afloat the minute lockdown is lifted, we are the first (and so far only) organisation to adapt the course for you. Our lead Instructor was one of the first Instructors in the UK to run this classroom course back in 2004 (in the pilot phase). He was also the first Instructor in the UK to run the refresher course when the rules were modified 5 years later. He has raced on board a wide variety of yachts in multiple offshore events from cross channel to Trans Atlantic Races, his offshore race results include;
- RORC Round Britain and Ireland Race (1st overall)
- RORC Cowes to Cascais Race (1st overall)
- RORC Cervantes Trophy (1st overall)
- RORC Myth of Malham Race (1st overall)
- RORC Series (1st overall)
- ARC Trans Atlantic (2nd in class)
- Barbados to Antigua Ocean race (1st overall)