This is the highest level of the three STCW Security Courses. The Ship Security Officer (SSO) is the person appointed by the master to manage security on board the ship.
Through a combination of lectures, videos, group discussion and scenario based exercises, this course delivers an interactive learning experience where students can put into practice techniques and procedures for maintaining the security of their vessel. This course focuses transiting high-risk areas, the risk of terrorism and hostile environments.
3 days, 0930-1700
12 months sea service (or as the discretion of the MCA – appropriate sea service (minimum three months) and knowledge of ships operations to enable them to achieve the objectives of training).
The course is run at Hythe, near Southampton. Training is provided by an external MCA Approved Training Provider.
- Maintain and supervise the implementation of a ship’s security plan
- Assess security risk, threat and vulnerability
- Undertake regular inspections of the vessel to ensure appropriate security measures are implemented and maintained
- Coordinate the security measures for handling cargo
- Monitor security equipment ensuring it is operated, tested, calibrated and maintained.
Particular focus is given to what to do when entering high-risk areas, adverse conditions or hostile environments. The course will also cover specific threats including piracy, terrorism and other such occurrences.
- 3 days of Training
- Course Manual
- Tea & Coffee
- STCW Proficiency for Ship’ Security Officers Certificate
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Meals & Accommodation
This is a specialised courses that we outsource to another local training organisation.