12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE AIMS:
Understand how to look after your on-board electric systems. Be able to solve problems that occur both in port and at sea. Become safer and save costly call outs. This course is suitable for sailors and powerboaters and will help skippers and owners become more self-reliant.
12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE OVERVIEW
This is one of our Chieftain Training home grown courses. We are unaware of another similar course being run anywhere. The course is aimed at yachts sailors and power-boaters alike. It is a very “hand’s on” course.
12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE DURATION:
1 day – 09:30 to 16:30
12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE PRE REQUISITES:
Basic knowledge of sailing yachts and / or powerboats.
12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE CONTENT:
- 12 Volt DC Electrics and marine systems
- The circuit
- Volts, Amps, Ohms and Watts
- Selecting appropraite fuses and cables
- Marine grade equipment
- Connecting NMEA devices
- 12 Volt DC Fault finding and troubleshooting
- Using a multi meter
- Testing continuity and circuit
- 12 Volt Connections
- Heat Sealing
- 12V Tools
- 12 Volt Batteries
- The 12V battery
- Alternative power
A large component of this course is practical fault finding. During the course you will make use of our training boards/simulators which include night lights, instruments, VHF sets, kill cords, etc. and you will work through common problems that occur with 12 volt installations.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR 12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE:
- Day of training & use of simulators / training boards / tools
- Chieftain Training 12 Volt Marine Electrics Certificate
- Essential Electrics Handbook: A Skipper’s Guide to Electrical Systems by Campbell De Burgh (retails at £11.99)
- Free (on street) parking
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN OUR 12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE:
12 VOLT MARINE ELECTRICS COURSE RATIOS:
Due to the Covid 9 pandemic we have limited this course to a maximum of 6 students. The class size however is typically 3-5 students and we will run the course with as few as 2 students.