FASTNET RACE TACTICS OVERVIEW:
The bi annual RORC Fastnet Race is the world’s most popular offshore yacht race. It takes place every second year (odd-numbered years, 2019, 2021 etc.)
FASTNET RACE TACTICS DURATION:
2.5 – 3 hours including a 15 minute break
FASTNET RACE TACTICS PRE REQUISITES:
You should be familiar with offshore racing and intending to compete in this race.
FASTNET RACE TACTICS COURSE CONTENT:
- Overview, the course and the Sailing Instructions
- Weather information before the start
- Weather information during the race
- AIS and online trackers
- The Start and the Solent
- Channel principal headlands and tidal gates on the outbound leg
- Inshore vs offshore tactics
- Light wind strategies
- Heavy wind strategies
- The Celtic Sea and the rock
- Channel return leg
- Approaching the finish
- Question Time
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE FASTNET RACE TACTICS:
- Evening seminar delivered by our coach
- Question Time
- Chieftain Training Fastnet Race Tactics Certificate
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE FASTNET RACE TACTICS:
BOOKING THE FASTNET RACE TACTICS SEMINAR:
As this seminar is specific to the Fastnet Race we only run it every second year and during the 3 month build up to the Fastnet Race.
IS THE FASTNET RACE TACTICS SEMINAR FOR ME?
This seminar is suitable for everyone on board, however it is specifically aimed at those who will be acting as skipper, tactician or first mate on the RORC Fastnet Race.
WHY CHOOSE CHIEFTAIN TRAINING FOR THE FASTNET RACE TACTICS SEMINAR:
This is one of our home-grown racing seminars. Our lead Instructor, who wrote the seminar has been offshore racing in the English Channel for over two decades.